• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 15 Nov 2019 - 'Show Us the Cut of your Jib - Casual Style'

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In requiring a tie, the last Challenge was aimed squarely at CM posters. I wanted to open this one up to include both CM and the guys on SW&D.

I thought I would call the Challenge ‘Show us the Cut of your Jib – Casual Style’.

What is a Jib? I looked up the derivation of the expression ‘The Cut of your Jib’ and found it originally referred to a triangular Jib sail, the design and style of which assisted in identifying far-away ships by noting the "cut" of their sails to determine their status as friend or foe. By the 1820s it was being used in connection with someone’s appearance or character.

So, that’s it. Show us your style in a casual setting.

There are few specific rules – it can be a CM casual style outfit (as we would normally post on the thread of that name) or it can be a more relaxed SW&D fit. It should have been worn this season and, of course, it should project your own unique style.

The Challenge will run until midnight (GMT) on Friday 15 November.

Some inspiration from across SF:

500x1000px-LL-f253ec8e_image EFV.jpg

1202233-3b41dcf6dd18814df4eaa96022ef67ad Rais.jpg

Clouseau casual.jpg

OccultaVexillum 9800DB05-A083-4D0C-AC54-EED943C1CFF8_jpeg.jpg

Good luck!

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took this a few days ago in Singapore. Probably won't get a chance to take another fit pic for a while but this is what I typically wear anyway and I've been lax in participating in these challenges.

isseysinga45.jpg sidewalkgreenisseyWIPyellow.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've lived in either the mid- or deep-south since I was 14 and, growing up, more often than not gravitated toward certain Southern staples, i.e., highly saturated and/or light or pastel colors, khakis, button-downs, etc. While I have abandoned my oversized khakis and polo shirts, I've never moved away from my inclination towards cream/stone pants and generally tonal outfits. I try my best to look "put together" and struggle to let my hair down, but this is where I am most comfortable!

9F46D7C3-5667-4A27-A633-123A70B67CFF.jpeg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Took this a few days ago in Singapore. Probably won't get a chance to take another fit pic for a while but this is what I typically wear anyway and I've been lax in participating in these challenges.

View attachment 1269813 View attachment 1269814
Well what a great entry !
Perfect fit, lovely surroundings, and it's really the "cut of your Jib". Bravo!

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1269813 View attachment 1269814
How are you not covered in sweat? Did you really manage to wear this outside all day?

Mr Stork nearby would have been an interesting spot to contrast this with. For that 90s Keanu cyber dystopia feel.

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are you not covered in sweat? Did you really manage to wear this outside all day?
It's a very light cotton tank top with avery voluminous coat made from a light cotton poly with a water-resistant coating. The pants are ultra light nylon and the boots are quick dry polyester, very breathable. It showered 3 times that day as it is the rainy season and it cooled the temperatures quite a bit. I wore my silk linen suit the other days I was in Singapore and was fine in that as well. Living on the Gold Coast, Australia I've enjoyed putting together more developed looks that are wearable in the heat. That also probably helps my heat tolerance somewhat.

Mr Stork nearby would have been an interesting spot to contrast this with. For that 90s Keanu cyber dystopia feel.

Yea, I think the $5 sunglasses I got in Little India worked well with the coat to give a 90's look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics