1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 11/8/2013--TURTLENECKS

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Nov 6, 2013.

Who did turtleneck the best?

1. Ian Erickson

18 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. sugarbutch

15 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Holdfast

17 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. 38R

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Mo'Fuck the Turtle

10 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. gdl203

69 vote(s)
    51.1%
  7. el Bert

26 vote(s)
    19.3%
  8. Too Lazy to Run His Own Damned Challenge (Tira)

16 vote(s)
    11.9%
  9. A.J.V.

19 vote(s)
    14.1%
  10. NOBD

35 vote(s)
    25.9%
  11. Crat

15 vote(s)
    11.1%
  12. Kaplan

21 vote(s)
    15.6%
  13. Seajen

9 vote(s)
    6.7%
  14. Caustic Man

6 vote(s)
    4.4%
  15. StanleyVanBuren

15 vote(s)
    11.1%
  16. leftofthedial

16 vote(s)
    11.9%
  17. Mr. Claymore

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  18. caseyfud

15 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

I said a very specific circumstance was tragic -- people who try to dress with this forum in mind rather than the people they will interact with in their lives, and who don't succeed in even that effort. I think it's a situation worth pondering, at the least, rather than dismissing.

But I'll admit my hackles were up because Caustic Man said my earlier point was the most absurd thing ever.

2. The Thin Man

I'd rather my original post in this thread be taken as provocative rather than antogonistic. I probably failed in that, and it comes out of the disappointment and frustration from having spent an enormous amount of time here and having seen the number of knowledgeable members diminish while a lot of mocking of serious points occurs.

3. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I disagreed with it rather than dismissing. There are many things tragic in this world - spending money, time, and effort on clothing is not one of the things I'd consider tragic, even if the outcome is beyond terrible.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  4. The Thin Man

It's not the bad taste that's tragic and people should be able to spend money however they want. But I detect a lot of sadness in a lot of what l see here, that's what I find tragic. Maybe I'm wrong.

I apologize for my "caustic" response to your post. I misunderstood you.

5. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

6. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I'm glad this was all patched up. But it's a shame that the potential for an interesting discussion was lost - oh well, some other time...

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

You shouldn't do this.

4 people like this.
  8. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Don't you dare................[​IMG]

- next challenge please.

9. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Not at all true. I attacked your statement. You then proceeded to attack my person. Then you did the same with conrad. If you want to not be considered a dick, both here and in real life, then learn to differentiate when someone is attacking your thesis, and when someone is attacking you. Then respond accordingly.

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

1 person likes this.
  11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Fun challenge. Folks did a nice job.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i used to do that (take this place really seriously) i have learned that that is usually not the best way to go. medium serious would be the max imo. dont be a pushover, stick to your beliefs as long as you truly believe in them, but dont get too serious here. 99% of the time its just a recipe for disaster. ymmv tho.

--

g - we expect an awesome challenge for this week. the wear at least 2 items from NMWA challenge?

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've always thought it would be fun to do an affiliate vendor challenge, where we need to wear at least two items from two different affiliate vendors. AV's can participate but can't wear their own stuff. It'd be a nice thank you to them (I realize that we also thank them with our money).

Pretty sure I can cram 4 AV's into a fit.

14. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i could do 6. :bigstar:

fit might suck hard tho. not sure the 6 would make any sense worn together. but what a tribute it would be!!!

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Turtlenecks indeed come in many flavours and can be worn with a dressed up or more casual look, as it was amply demonstrated here. Leaving aside bruised egos, I do not see how saying that sportcoats are widely seen as being characteristic of a dressed up look can be in any way controversial. No one is asking people to stop wearing them on the weekend to go to the pub or whatever, they just have to understand how their look will be seen. This, of course, does not account for variations within social circles, your close friends may basically dress in a more traditional way or at least have learned to see that this is your casual look (to use your own situation as an example). The average person will still see a dressed up guy.

Of course what we have here, and why the debate got harsher most rapidly, is the eternal struggle for authenticity; no one wants to be accused of wearing a costume, of borrowing an identity.

3 people like this.
  16. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Fun challenge; I may be inspired to purchase a turtleneck at some point as a result. I liked GDL, NOBD and SVB's fits the best but there were a decent number of good attempts. The turtleneck seems like a good crossover garment that works well in a SW&D context as well as in a more casual CM context.

17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

The bolded portion is key I think and may explain some of the controversy on a CM forum where dressing down an odd jacket with a turtleneck instead of a dress shirt and tie may well be seen as dressing down. I don't find the idea that wearing a tailored jacket will generally result in one being seen as dressed up to be too controversial, but context matters. Despite what a jacket connotes to most people, there are different levels of dressed up and I think most people can differentiate between (1) odd jacket, turtleneck and trousers, (2) odd jacket, dress shirt and no tie and (3) jacket and tie and regard them differently. All three may be examples of a dressed-up look on a relative basis when most people are wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but they don't all belong in the same category or give off the same image.

18. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Couple years ago at this point, I guess. 2011 ish? Well before these contests became a regular thing, it was a bit of a forum showdown. Separate contests with SW&D trying to do MC, and MC trying to do SW&D. SW&D doing MC featured a lot of poorly fitting black suits, IIRC.

19. The Thin Man

Thanks for the reply. You always look good, because you always look like you're relaxed and having fun (even without purposely seeking a dégagé vibe). I guess a lot of what I was railing against wasn't even if this thread -- a couple of posts made me think of what I don't like in the MC Casual thread. Yeah, extremely deconstructed jackets or very short jackets can look good with casual clothes and still count as "tailored," but I don't see a lot of consideration of those factors in this subforum. A lot of people did look good with the turtleneck (which seems to be making a comeback in both CM and SW&D this fall in a way that I haven't seen in the five years I've been on the forum), so this was the wrong thread for my jeremiad.