1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Friday Challenge 11/15/13 -- Scarves

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Nov 12, 2013.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

It'll be cold enough these next few days for a scarf to make sense. Now I just need to dig my scarfs out...

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

My prediction, SWD wins this one. It continues to name SWD type challenges and continues to win. As CM members participate, their tastes are slowly changed. It culminates with upr_crust wearing dropcrotch suit pants to work, stitchy wearing skinny jeans, and Holdfast wearing some Yohji.

Though actually, I think HF can pull off Yohji.

That being said, at some point the challenges should return to CM territory. Scarves simply don't look as awesome with a jacket and tie (probably the defining clothing of CM). Neither do turtlenecks. At the same time, I find myself trying to figure out how to incorporate a scarf into a jacket and tie context, capturing the artistry of SWD while also following the rules of CM. This is hard. A good challenge in the sense that it's forcing me to think.

3. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

SO MANY SCHNEIDER SCARVES

4. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior member

Big fan of scarves during the cold, this old fit remains my favorite incorporation. Still consistently stunned by how incredible the scarf looks from a distance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Clags, I kind of agree, but I do not 100% agree. Nice top coat + scarf, over a suit and tie, done right its a killer MC look. If someone here can really do it proper, they could win it.

You need someone with all the right goods to make it happen. I am short a scarf, dont have anything top shelf.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  6. Claghorn

Even then, I don't think so. Not because it wouldn't be the best look, but simply because of voter bias. Not that they're going to think "I'm from SWD, this guy is from SWD, screw those MC suits pretending to be James Bond" but because they have SWD tastes so they'll vote for SWD looks.

They participate/care a lot more. It speaks well of them and speaks ill of us.

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Not sold. The SWD guys know a great fit when they see one, and I am confident they would place votes for a killer MC scarf fit if one was posted.

As to their participation vs MCs, as related to thumbs and votes, I agree, but as related to daily participation, its a level playing field of participation and caring in my opinion.

8. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I'm struggling to think if there's a way I can wear a scarf to the jobsite...

9. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

I feel like I am messing up the line wearing my Maison Martin Margiela

10. Claghorn

gdl, only fits from the past week, as per norm? Otherwise, it feels a bit less like a weekly contest.

I think one of the things I find appealing about scarves in a SWD context is that it can inject quite a bit of steez into a look. It's a bit more tricky to do the same (but hopefully not impossible) with a CM look.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  11. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Oh, you mean something like this, Stitchy?

[​IMG]

My official entry, and most likely the last photo posting of the month - on vacation starting tomorrow evening, and not back to work until early December. On the extraordinarily bizarre chance that I should win this thing, I delegate Stitchy as my proxy, to set the next challenge, as he sees fit.

Have fun, gentlemen.

12. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

13. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Not sure if attempting to wear an Alaskan Malamute in Greenland as a scarf counts, but:

[​IMG]
    Hat is also dog

Otherwise:

[​IMG]
    Drake's Fair Isle

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

On the road so only have the one scarf with me but here goes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I wasn't aware if that norm. I don't know much about those contests and had asked last week if it could be an older pic, which I believe was answered yes.

I'm personally much more interested in seeing great fits than people's latest fits so if that's up to me, older pics are more than welcome.