• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 09/06/2013 -- Choose your challenge

What should be Friday Challenge for next week?

• Classic Film Challenge - Archibaldleach

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Shoulder Season - Holdfast

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • The Pitti Wall - Cantabrigian

• Are you kosher? - in stitches

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • The Booth - sugarbutch

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Polo Roll - RDiaz

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Tumblr Friday - JPHardy

• Reevolving Challenge - PiCcolocV

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Yellow Tie Challenge - Mothon

• Brown is for Farmer - jrd69

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • The Odd Odd Jacket - Claghorn

• Learn from the Masters Challenge - TTO

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Someone tell Holdfast I'm going off the deep end
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Classic Film Challenge
An homage to a character from a pre-1960's classic film. Picture of the character should be included

Shoulder Season
Post a fit bridging the seasons (summer to fall)

The Pitti Wall
Post a fit with something a very loud, attention grabbing bit of sprezz/accessorizing

Are you Kosher?
Post a pantless fit.

The Booth
Gray suit, navy tie, white shirt, black shoes

Polo Roll
RDiaz, I have no idea what you are talking about, ya crazy Spaniard

Tumblr Friday
Replicate a fit off Tumblr (cannot replicate self)

Reevolving Challenge
Dress like a BR catalog (or someone in a BR catalog)

Yellow Tie Challenge
Goats would probably not make for a good house pet.

Brown is for Farmer
Wear a brown suit or jacket.

The Odd Odd Jacket
Wear an odd jacket which isn't primarily brown, gray, blue, or a gunclub which resolves into one of those three.

Learn from the Masters Challenge
Select a masterpiece painting, say a Van Gogh, a Matisse, a Mondrian perhaps, and try to recreate its balance in terms of tone, colour,light, texture etc.

Crap, I forget to include Unbel's Boxer Challenge. Write him in to ballots, please.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is that your official submission?
nod[1].gif

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The classic film challenge. We spend a fair amount of time looking at past style icons and learning from them. Submit a picture from an actor in a film produced before 1960 and your best homage to the actor who plays said character. Voting should be based on the tastefulness of the fit submitted as well as how well the fit corresponds to the style of said actor. Black and white photographs must be used for black and white films; color may only be used for color films.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The classic film challenge. We spend a fair amount of time looking at past style icons and learning from them. Submit a picture from an actor in a film produced before 1960 and your best homage to the actor who plays said character. Voting should be based on the tastefulness of the fit submitted as well as how well the fit corresponds to the style of said actor. Black and white photographs must be used for black and white films; color may only be used for color films.

Good idea for a challenge. With a name like that, I think I have an idea of what your entry might entail.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC, this was your idea. If it fails miserably, you get the blame for coming up with this. Should it succeed, I get the credit for listening to you.

(at least, I think you were the one who came up with this)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's why I'm curious about how it will turn out.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alright, you win this week's challenge by successfully coming up with next week's challenge.

Submit your ideas and reasoning by Friday evening. I'll make a poll Saturday and edit your justifications into the original post.

I'm all for crowdsourcing, but using democracy to determine challenge themes? This is a most concerning development. Soon, we'll end up using it to elect leaders, and then where will we be?!

Anyway, my suggestion. I think it provides a relatively light restraint (dress well for the season), which should maximise participation, while simultaneously encouraging a more active/thoughtful approach to deciding what to wear:

Shoulder Season

Summer's almost over, but it's still warm & sunny in many parts of the world. Or, it might be getting cooler where you are, but you don't want to completely let go of summer just yet. And in the southern hemisphere, it's the opposite problem of transitioning from winter into summer. So how do you cope with the vagaries of the shoulder seasons? Lightweight materials in earthy colours (Monkeyface showed us a great example of this recently), mid-weight worsted wools but keeping the brighter colours of summer, heavier material or something else entirely?

Show us how you manage to still look good during this transitional time of year!

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s September 2015. MicrosoftNokia is the hottest cell phone maker in the world, Joe Biden has announced his candidacy for President and you’ve just launched your first collection of luxury snap bracelets.

The wearable lifestyle bauble market is CROWDED. But you can do dis. You know you can. Someday, in a tone of unvarnished admiration, Ralph Lauren himself will call YOU the PT Barnum of steez (yes, I went there – I had no other choice). But first you’ve gotta generate some buzz.

Pitti is coming up. That low wall (that’s only apparent purpose is providing a place to sit whilst counting your reblogs) has launched many a career. It still has some magic left in it.

You’ve gotta get noticed.

This isn’t the place to undo a buckle on your dubmonks (Lino’s been running that game since before he had skin cancer). This isn’t the place to halfheartedly sub in a camo something (Wooster’s been doing that since he was still in the closet). You need the next thing. You need the look that everyone’s going to be copying off whatever’s replaced Tumblr now that it’s full of old people.

So, what’s it gonna be?

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is nice, but I barely watch movies from this years... I haven't watch any movie from the 1960's.
frown.gif

I'm all for crowdsourcing, but using democracy to determine challenge themes? This is a most concerning development. Soon, we'll end up using it to elect leaders, and then where will we be?!

Anyway, my suggestion. I think it provides a relatively light restraint (dress well for the season), which should maximise participation, while simultaneously encouraging a more active/thoughtful approach to deciding what to wear:

Shoulder Season

Summer's almost over, but it's still warm & sunny in many parts of the world. Or, it might be getting cooler where you are, but you don't want to completely let go of summer just yet. And in the southern hemisphere, it's the opposite problem of transitioning from winter into summer. So how do you cope with the vagaries of the shoulder seasons? Lightweight materials in earthy colours (Monkeyface showed us a great example of this recently), mid-weight worsted wools but keeping the brighter colours of summer, heavier material or something else entirely?

Show us how you manage to still look good during this transitional time of year!

This would be nice, too.

It’s September 2015. MicrosoftNokia is the hottest cell phone maker in the world, Joe Biden has announced his candidacy for President and you’ve just launched your first collection of luxury snap bracelets.

The wearable lifestyle bauble market is CROWDED. But you can do dis. You know you can. Someday, in a tone of unvarnished admiration, Ralph Lauren himself will call YOU the PT Barnum of steez (yes, I went there – I had no other choice). But first you’ve gotta generate some buzz.

Pitti is coming up. That low wall (that’s only apparent purpose is providing a place to sit whilst counting your reblogs) has launched many a career. It still has some magic left in it.

You’ve gotta get noticed.

This isn’t the place to undo a buckle on your dubmonks (Lino’s been running that game since before he had skin cancer). This isn’t the place to halfheartedly sub in a camo something (Wooster’s been doing that since he was still in the closet). You need the next thing. You need the look that everyone’s going to be copying off whatever’s replaced Tumblr now that it’s full of old people.

So, what’s it gonna be?

This one could be very hard.
nod[1].gif
But fun.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO PANTS CHALLENGE!!!!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like very specific challenges which highlight mastery of the subtleties, so:

Gray suit, white shirt, navy tie, white hank, black shoes

Suit can be light or dark gray. Tie can be solid or patterned, but predominantly navy. Hank must be solid white; no colored edges or patterns.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd propose a polo collar roll challenge, but I'm biased - wearing my Mercer shirt today... call it an entry anyways, as I can't come up with a better idea!

I like Holdfast's "shoulder season" challenge, too.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like very specific challenges which highlight mastery of the subtleties, so:

Gray suit, white shirt, navy tie, white hank, black shoes

Suit can be light or dark gray. Tie can be solid or patterned, but predominantly navy. Hank must be solid white; no colored edges or patterns.

Isn't that just a question of how well your suit fits?

Thought the idea was to remove tailoring as a (dominant) consideration

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads