• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge 08/23/13 - Your best summer look

Whose is the Best Summer Look?

• Claghorn

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • Roycru

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Mr. Cucumber

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Upr_crust

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Holdfast

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • Kai (Casual)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Kai (Suited)

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Archibald Leach

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Thin White Duke

• Timotune

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • In Stitches

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • Sugarbutch

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Binge

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Mrjester

• Butler

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • An Acute Style

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • FalconXtreme

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Don Cologne

• Tirailleur

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Mr. Claymore

Votes: 9 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. Claymore

Reaction score

That's quite the assumption. :rolleyes:

I know! Let's argue about why I think (based on other discussions about the topic) that people didn't vote for me.... Yup, that sounds like fun.

So, why don't we try to have an actual productive conversation: Did you vote for me? Why or why not?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know! Let's argue about why I think (based on other discussions about the topic) that people didn't vote for me.... Yup, that sounds like fun.

So, why don't we try to have an actual productive conversation: Did you vote for me? Why or why not?

If it's any consolation, I still wouldn't have voted for you if you showed your face.

Assuming I haven't read the title wrong and this isn't some jazz-age costume party, I think the whole thing's unconscionable.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not that I'm a long time member with a credible background, but I didn't vote since it looked like you were trying far too hard. Summer, to me, is about laying back. The hat, the overly-coordinated matching colors, the bold as ever stripes, the chain, the double breasted shaw waistcoat (which was made to keep people warm in the winter, not cool in the summer), spectators. There was so much going on, I didn't know what you were going for.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
And now for something completely different

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sugs for restrained taste.
Tril for somehow making a godawful shirt look great.
Claymore for holy-over-the-top-batman.

No votes for Clags because no shoes.
No votes for Butler because it's just unfair to us mortals.
No votes for Stitch because he mistook the summer challenge for the autumn challenge.
What do you think I could have done better?

That question really goes to anyone willing to answer. I thought it was fantastic, casual, summer, nice colors, etc. But I guess I have some learning to do.

Was it that I have very few wardrobe pieces so far? More shirts/sc's/pants/shoes coming in, but they're not here now.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I limp in with this. Too lazy to hem pants that would work better.

All linen.
The materials aren't clearly linen, and since the colors aren't particularly summery, that feature was really necessary. A full fit picture also always helps (yes, coming from a guy without feet). Straighten out that tie/collar.

But yes, it seems like a very pleasant fit. I wish I could see the whole thing properly put together.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats on your win, senor.

Don't you ******* jinx it. The poll is still open. This happened last time. Do you have any idea how scary it is to have Butler one vote behind you?
cold[1].gif

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No votes for Stitch because he mistook the summer challenge for the autumn challenge.

LIES!! ALL OF THEM LIES!!!

--

clags, i would have considered voting for you if i could see the shoes and if they looked good with the fit. i cant vote for a fit if i cant see the whole thing. sorry bro.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can show you the socks I was wearing if you'd like. Because I'd like that very much. Facetime?

Mr. Claymore

Reaction score
Well... Holdfast, now you know you know why more people didn't vote for me...

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That question really goes to anyone willing to answer. I thought it was fantastic, casual, summer, nice colors, etc. But I guess I have some learning to do. 

Was it that I have very few wardrobe pieces so far? More shirts/sc's/pants/shoes coming in, but they're not here now.

I think it looked fine - just not too summery. The jacket is fairly dark and burgundy tie (even a knit) doesn't exactly scream summer. Gunclub check is more of a colder weather look as well.

The clash of the chestnut belt / brown shoes bothers me but that's because my parents didn't hug me enough as a child.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I thought that your outfit was very good. If I voted for a top 4-5 instead of a top 2, you definitely would have gotten a vote from me. I just happened to really, really like with Claghorn and Holdfast did this week above all others and I tend to vote for the fits that take it to that next level, which is something that is really hard to do. It's a mix of having the right wardrobe, experience putting things together and maybe even a bit of luck sometimes. Thing is, you can be a really well dressed guy and never win one of these challenges. When you have a bunch of people with good taste putting together outfits and taking varying amounts of risk (sometimes hitting it out of the park when they do), it's tough to win. Half the fun is being inspired and learning from others too.

I didn't give you a vote this week and it had nothing to do with your face being blocked out. I appreciate that you were trying to be bold, but wearing a rather loud and attention grabbing suit is not easy to do. Everything else has to work perfectly for that kind of look to work (or you have to be Butler) and that just wasn't the case this time. I give you credit for trying to take on something which was probably a 10/10 on the difficulty scale, but I think that's what did you in. I agree with the comment on the waistcoat being a bit much for a summer outfit. Of course, finding the perfect quiet and subtle outfit is not exactly easy either. The trick is to get a reaction of "Wow" that isn't followed by, "Where's he going with this?" I hope this doesn't sound overly harsh; just offering my two cents.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The materials aren't clearly linen, and since the colors aren't particularly summery, that feature was really necessary. A full fit picture also always helps (yes, coming from a guy without feet). Straighten out that tie/collar.

But yes, it seems like a very pleasant fit. I wish I could see the whole thing properly put together.
Well, god damn it, they're linen. The collar is unfused, moves extremely easy if you move at all. I love it.

Thanks. I'll do it next time.
Don't you ******* jinx it. The poll is still open. This happened last time. Do you have any idea how scary it is to have Butler one vote behind you?
cold%5B1%5D.gif
This made me lol hard. I needed lolz right now.
I think it looked fine - just not too summery. The jacket is fairly dark and burgundy tie (even a knit) doesn't exactly scream summer. Gunclub check is more of a colder weather look as well.

The clash of the chestnut belt / brown shoes bothers me but that's because my parents didn't hug me enough as a child.
Thanks, appreciate it. I didn't know burgundy knits were not summer. I'll keep that in mind.

The shoes are the exact same, promises. It's just a bad picture I guess. Getting used to a new fancy dancy camera I don't know how to use. Auto-mode isn't the end-all be-all apparently.
For what it's worth, I thought that your outfit was very good. If I voted for a top 4-5 instead of a top 2, you definitely would have gotten a vote from me. I just happened to really, really like with Claghorn and Holdfast did this week above all others and I tend to vote for the fits that take it to that next level, which is something that is really hard to do. It's a mix of having the right wardrobe, experience putting things together and maybe even a bit of luck sometimes. Thing is, you can be a really well dressed guy and never win one of these challenges. When you have a bunch of people with good taste putting together outfits and taking varying amounts of risk (sometimes hitting it out of the park when they do), it's tough to win. Half the fun is being inspired and learning from others too.
Thanks, appreciate it.

Thanks, everyone. I like the assessment phase more than the challenge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics