• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 08/02/13 - Wear a hat without looking like a fool.

Who pulled it off better?

• Holdfast

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Victor Elfo

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • RDiaz

Votes: 58 63.7%
  • upr_crust

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • TTO

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • adagio

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • HansderHund

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Caustic Man

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • emptym

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • OTM

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • PTWilliams

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Hampton

• in stitches

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Greggy500

• Thin White Duke

• TactileOne

• Mr. Claymore

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Tirailleur1

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • jcmeyer

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Kai

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RDiaz. Hands down.

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
I agree, RDiaz killed it, but the idea that someone's outfit is judged better because of the surroundings, picture quality, pose, or whatever, has always confused me. I suppose there is no getting away from it completely, especially when a picture is so bad that you can't see what it is clearly, but is this a photography contest, or a CM contest?

Interesting point.
In my opinion, what you're seeking is better offered by the Good Taste thread, however, that approach has some limitations that you should be aware of. For example, it does not account for how the pieces fit and, more importantly, it does not account for the demeanor that some people has and thus it often is not capable to properly judge if an outfit was successful or not. That's where good photography comes in, through it we can get a better sense of the context in which the outfit is donned, however, as you have already pointed out, it also has its limitations as it often diminishes the more technical aspects such as fit, coherence, textures, etc...
Both approaches have their merit and their demerits, learn from both having their demerits in mind.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree, RDiaz killed it, but the idea that someone's outfit is judged better because of the surroundings, picture quality, pose, or whatever, has always confused me. I suppose there is no getting away from it completely, especially when a picture is so bad that you can't see what it is clearly, but is this a photography contest, or a CM contest?

In my opinion, the attitude of the wearer and the setting in which an outfit is worn are important contributing factors in judging the overall stylistic success of said outfit. Had Sr. Diaz worn the exact same outfit while posing stiff as a plank in time honoured SF fashion and - let's say - at a gala dinner, his entry in this challenge would have been a complete fail. But that's just my 2 rupiah...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you guys are making too much of the photo. RD's fit would have looked great with a robopose shot. The one thing I think he does accomplish with the pose, however, is obscuring his face in an unobtrusive way.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe a hat worn indoors usually makes you look like a fool (unless it's obvious you're about to head out), which is why I took the pictures at the park rather than at the workplace as I usually do
smile.gif

I honestly don't even think I made "nice" photographs at all; I'm a complete n00b at photography. They just happen to capture the ensemble well, as oppossed to my usual indoor shots taken with a Galaxy 3, which are terrible. The pose is the same I've been using lately for indoor shots
smile.gif

Last edited:

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
I think you guys are making too much of the photo. RD's fit would have looked great with a robopose shot. The one thing I think he does accomplish with the pose, however, is obscuring his face in an unobtrusive way.

Yes, the fit would still be great, but it certainly would not make such a strong impression. The light, the surrounding, the pose and the outfit, they're all in sync, coincidentally or not.
Anyway, if a photograph couldn't make a strong difference, photography would not be an art. Saying again for no misunderstanding, I'm not diminishing RDiaz's outfit, it's great.

I honestly don't even think I made "nice" photographs at all; I'm a complete n00b at photography. They just happen to capture the ensemble well, as oppossed to my usual indoor shots taken with a Galaxy 3, which are terrible. The pose is the same I've been using lately for indoor shots
smile.gif

Yes, your photograph does not follows the basic photographic rules and was taken with a simple camera on auto, but the natural light and the surroundings were enough to make it pop. Not a terrific photograph, but way better than average.
Going to a park with your camera and a tripod as worth the effort.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Actually I said RDiaz killed it, BUT, I was just commenting on how one person took the photographic presentation as a major factor in how good the fit was. To me that's counter productive.

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
Actually I said RDiaz killed it, BUT, I was just commenting on how one person took the photographic presentation as a major factor in how good the fit was. To me that's counter productive.

The photograph is a major factor, how would we perceive his outfit without it? It baffles me that so many of you try to deny so hard that the presentation is usually more important than the content, there's even a career on it: marketing. RDiaz's outfit succeeds on both presentation and content. Funny how people usually stick with linear rationales (A or B).

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's funny how you think that no one but you is able to tease that out and factor it into his consideration...

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt he got 63% of the vote due to a pose or natural light. Even if he got 40%, he would have probably won. He didn't just kill it, he destroyed the challenge. Awesome.

What's the next challenge, RDias? I've got enough stuff I may be able to compete.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SF is a lot more than about just the fit. fair or not, facts are facts.

regardless, diaz won this handily.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think a bit much is being read into what I said. It was just an observation. Not an objection to what RDiaz was wearing. Killed it, destroyed it, call it whatever you want. It was a great fit. Nevertheless, I still believe what I do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads