• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge 01/10/2014: SF Family Values

In a challenge of greatest among equals, who repped SF Families best?

• Don Cologne

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Timotune

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Spandexter

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • Pliny

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Mursquirl

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Holdfast

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • RogerC

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Cotton Dockers

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • sugarbutch

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Betel

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • GMMcL

• in stitches

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Mr. Six

• Rudals

Votes: 13 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I HOPE YOU FIND ONE!!!
devil.gif

This is the one

From a distance.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in the distance shot it looks more teal than navy, but because you are a good dood ill allow it.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this challenge to be a bit unengaging, not because of the outfits - which were generally fine - but because the challenge wasn't really that challenging. I don't see what's particularly special about just wearing an item of 'Brand X' bought from an affiliate compared to the same item or brand bought anywhere, or from anyone, else - including other members who happen not to be affiliates. Perhaps it would have been more interesting had it been only items made by forum affiliates or members...

However, my personal preference is for challenges that impose some restriction that forces us to think about how we dress - like the way that Lars Von Trier and Jørgen Leith's film, The Five Obstructions, forces us to think about movies - not about how much stuff you happen to buy (and from whom).

I'm sure someone (probably Stitchy...) will tell me to stop being negative, and that there's room for all kinds of challenges, live and let live, etc. etc.... to which I will just respond by grumbling to myself.
tounge.gif

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure someone (probably Stitchy...) will tell me to stop being negative, and that there's room for all kinds of challenges, live and let live, etc. etc.... to which I will just respond by grumbling to myself.
tounge.gif
I believe I will respond, though pretty much as anticipated. I generally like challenges that impose a restriction--all the other challenges I've run did so--but since there isn't really a limit on how many challenges we do (I guess 52 a year would be the limit), I felt no need to do the same here. This one was less about the entrants and more about the brands. I'm very grateful to have access to what the SF Family provides. I've gotten a lot of nice stuff, some on sale, some slightly modified for my preferences. I've had an AV sell me his personal tie (at a discount) when he was sold out. This was a nice way to celebrate all that.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. What Clags said.

2. Stop being silly and negative. No one has to play but no need to **** on the people here celebrating the vendors we all benefit so greatly from.

Grumble away.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe I will respond, though pretty much as anticipated. I generally like challenges that impose a restriction--all the other challenges I've run did so--but since there isn't really a limit on how many challenges we do (I guess 52 a year would be the limit), I felt no need to do the same here. This one was less about the entrants and more about the brands. I'm very grateful to have access to what the SF Family provides. I've gotten a lot of nice stuff, some on sale, some slightly modified for my preferences. I've had an AV sell me his personal tie (at a discount) when he was sold out. This was a nice way to celebrate all that.

Yeah, yeah, I know - and I don't fundamentally object to that, but I also have quite a bit of sympathy for the old-timers here who argue that affiliate threads etc. increasingly dominate the forum to its detriment - it's not as if they need any more 'celebrating'... (grumble, grumble).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vs dont negatively impact SF. Not to mention, your join date precludes you from getting near that argument.

:poke:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some are definitely over celebrated. Others are not. I think there was a healthy mix of both in this competition.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. But over celebrated or not, I don't think they have the negative impact some accuse them of. Either way, this is a thread of love and positivity not negativity. This stops here.

Anyone is welcome to go back to talking about how excited we are for this weeks fun and challenging Friday Challenge.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AVs dont negatively impact SF. Not to mention, your join date precludes you from getting near that argument.

Quite a few people do not agree with you on the subject of affiliates, or more accurately the predominance of affiliate threads: please be a bit more careful in your accusations - I haven't said that affiliates per se damage SF and I am not arguing that. And please don't presume to know how long I've been reading SF. It's far longer than my join date would indicate. I remember when you arrived for a start...
satisfied.gif

Anyway, I don't think this is going to get any more productive here - there is already a discussion thread that deals with affiliate threads etc. elsewhere in which Fok has engaged constructively with some of the concerns of those longer-standing members that I mentioned.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed.

Now, where were we about classic good old American navy on navy action?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Well shoot! I was all ready for glen plaid.....

Oh well, not sure I have that many good navy options.

The two third and fourth from the right look barely distinguishable in pattern - are they radically different in style or is it something only you and a discerning SF member could tell apart? I was wondering if having two POW suits was de trop but you've certainly answered that question!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could easily see myself having 4 or 5 different PoW suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads