Fresco Suit Battle: "Tobacco" Brown vs. "Wheat" Tan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Feb 11, 2014.

Which color fresco do you prefer for a suit?

1. Brown

32 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. Tan

26 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I'd go with tan over brown. I think the tan suit would be something you could wear to summer weddings and the like while the brown suit would be more likely to stand out. From a seasonal perspective, I also tend to prefer lighter colors in the summer, so tan works well here also.

2. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Get them both.

3. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have an opinion on this subject but too busy to sort it out. Wanted to weigh in here

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The smart tailor is the diplomatic tailor?

You know you agree with me. Tobacco is for farmer ... and linen!

5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

@gdl203 : usually I'd disagree that a picture is worth a thousand words, but your brown linen suit is one of the most eloquent arguments I've seen here along with @NewYorkIslander 's brown fresco. For me that makes it even and, as usual on SF, I now want one of each although I need neither...

6. rob

rob Senior member

I don't think I could make this decision in a vacuum. That is, it would have to be made in the context of the status of the wardrobe. If I had a full wardrobe that worked in any conceivable situation I may find myself in, then I would get whatever the fuck I wanted. If I have just a few suits etc. then I would err on what is the most versatile.

So, I don't know if I could answer the op's original question without a good understanding of that.

Rob

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

It is a "vaccuum" question, unfortunately. Just asking what color looks better to your eye. I have enough dark suits and jackets.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  8. Flake

Flake Senior member

Would be very interested in your opinion. I was going to ask you about thoughts on doing a fresco suit when I'm up there next month.

9. vida

vida Senior member

Well said.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

This thread certainly represents "Classic Menswear" at its very best--thoughtful, informed, civil. Well done!

I don't know that I have too much to add that hasn't already been said. I do own a tan suit in Harrison's Frontier, which for those of you who don't know it, is a somewhat open-weave hopsack. I do regard the tan suit as a summer classic (or for warm weather almost anytime in my part of the world). I have thought a brown suit might make an interesting addition to my wardrobe, but I really don't know where it would fit in.

However, for those of us who are not constrained by business necessity, where any suit "fits in" may be open to question. Even at high ceremonial occasions--weddings, funerals, major religious holidays--you will find many men suit-less and even jacket-less. Last summer I went to one of the more expensive restaurants in Beverly Hills. I had asked the management about attire, and they were supportive of my wearing a suit and tie. I went for a sort of "sub-tux" look with my midnight blue suit, white FC shirt, and silver Charvet tie with blue pin dots. As it turned out, I looked as conspicuously out of place as if I had been in a white-tie rig.

All of which is, I guess, a prelude to saying that unless one is specifically concerned with building a conservative business wardrobe, one can probably go for any suiting color within the spectrum of good taste without concerns of "fitting in." You probably won't wherever you wear it. I have a suspicion that the casual suit may supplant both the conservative suit in some contexts and the sport coat and slacks in others.

Some of the comments about the narrowing of the color spectrum in suitings have been insightful. The first suit I bought as an undergraduate in the early 1960s was olive-gray, quite a common suiting color at the time. I don't know how many years it has been since I have seen an olive suit on the rack

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

For a SS suit in brown, I would stick with linen in a tobacco color.

If someone is fair skinned, they often look washed out in basic tan suits. I would recommend a cotton in a fine twill with an olive cast khaki color. Olive cotton twill is another option.

In both cases I would make these up with casual details- patch pockets, 3-2 roll, soft shoulder and enjoy wearing these as separates or as a suit. Either would look casual and comfortable worn with a pink shirt and suede bucks.

12. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Indeed, and I've often seen olive described as a 'difficult' colour to wear, which seems either somewhat overstated or perhaps it is because the people making such statements assume they are talking about wearers with pale northern European skin tones. Even so, I don't see at as intrinsically difficult, I think, once again, it is often another way of saying the colour isn't 'in' while trying to maintain the illusion that it's not about fashion at all.

13. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Well said, J. Just a quick thought on your last couple sentences, quoted above: Every year, the school I teach at has recent grads come back and give workshops on how to interview for jobs, and they end with mock interviews. Students are told to wear black suits, and they all do. I've tried twice to suggest to some of the alumni conducting the workshops that they switch to dark blue or gray, but they just look at me like I'm crazy. For most of these students, that suit is their first and may be their last. So it seems like black may be the only suit color someday. But maybe this is just my city or school.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  14. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

I often overhear salespeople suggesting black suits to high school graduates to wear to their prom. Sometimes I think of intervening, but then remember that it's actually none of my business... oh well [​IMG]

15. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hear a lot of women in their teens to early 30's telling guys, "Oh you MUST have a black suit".