1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Fresco Suit Battle: "Tobacco" Brown vs. "Wheat" Tan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Feb 11, 2014.

Which color fresco do you prefer for a suit?

1. Brown

32 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Tan

25 vote(s)
    43.9%
  1. Maccimus

Maccimus Well-Known Member

I made mine slewfoot brown into a three piece, but rarely wear them together...I pair the jacket (with tan MOP buttons) with white/stone cotton pants, and pair the pants with some worsted tweed jackets actually.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

What if it was countrified (that color, that cloth). Or could that color not be countrified enough without overwhelming the jacket with bells and whistles?

3. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

You guys really expect fresco as a typical city cloth? :-D

I have a tan (a.k.a wheat) 2pc fresco that I wear for non-work related stuff. Love it.

I will reserve brown for heavier months.

4. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

I don't like that brown. Def the tan.

Btw, Reagan's brown suit is nothing like the Slewfoot brown (which is very reddish-brown).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Tan, assuming we're talking a pale yellow sand sort of tan rather than a colder stoney off-white; I'm not sure which it actually is from the photo in the OP. A warm-coloured tan summer suit strikes me as quite versatile: suitable for a relaxed summer's day in an office or out and about for pleasure, so I think getting it in fresco would be a decent choice. This is putting aside my personal distaste for fresco as a fabric, as I don't much like how it feels.

Re: Grammaton's point above - hypothetically speaking, I would greatly prefer the Reagan shade for a suit, but the tobacco brown in the OP's post for an odd jacket.

1 person likes this.
  6. williamson

williamson Well-Known Member

The word "tan" has different meanings in British and American English. In Britain we refer to beige trench-coats and other raincoats; that colour is called "tan" in the USA. "Tan" in British English is a much darker colour - a lightish yellowish brown, often the colour of shoes.

2 people like this.
  7. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

This is silly. You are being a drone to the "rules" and not thinking in terms of practicality. Linen is a shitty material. I prefer to have ventilated, dry armpits and pants seat. The feeling of sweat pooling in cotton or linen is the worst. I never though of myself as a heavy perspirer, but maybe I just sweat more than you in 90 degree heat. :)

What's more, you are creating a false equivalence between worsted twill suiting and a fresco suiting (cold and warm weather). The latter is much more casual with the open weave.

:fu:

8. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

Agreed. For a suit that's going to be worn in the summer, I'd rather go with linen for either color - they look better in that fabric IMHO, so why not?

For a fall/winter suit, brown worsted or flannel is fine.

9. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

IMO, linen is more high maintenance than wool. Not only does it wrinkle, linen picks up odors and holds on to them more than wool. Linen suits would be fantastic if you had a valet/butler to clean and press them for you everyday.

I have a DB from the Slewfoot brown fresco but I haven't found too many shirt/tie combos. They are always of the striped blue shirt and textured tie variety. I'm not sure if the shade of the tan fresco works for my complexion.

1 person likes this.
  10. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Or you do not know enough to judge when someone is being a "drone" to "rules" or simply understands clothing better than you.

Perhaps you will claim that I am drawing an offensive, unfounded conclusion, but I would remind you that I had I wasted the time to carefully, rationally explain, you would just as likely have accused me of being argumentative. Hence, I have taken the easier route.

Let it be known that you actually want to discuss and we'll try again.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

You do know a lot about clothing, more than me, but I know enough to know that I don't like linen for suits. I've owned several and they were mistakes. I never wore them. Too much maintenance as poorsod agrees

Also, you kinda derailed the topic of this thread by injecting the discussion about the material. This is supposed to be a thread about color. :confused:

12. mafoofan

Please note I toned down my comments to you; rough day. Apologies.

Color cannot be meaningfully discussed in a vacuum. Choosing a good color requires an assessment of material and context. In the context of summer suitings, fresco is on the more formal side. The fact that it is more coarse than standard worsteds worn in cooler seasons doesn't change that.

You don't have to like linen. You don't have to wear it. But you also don't have to wear brown or tan suits. Isn't it obvious that good style requires knowing what one should or shouldn't do, versus what he merely wants? Otherwise, there really cannot be a distinction between good and bad. It takes no talent to simply do what you desire.

3 people like this.
  13. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. In fact, I saw this thread just a few minutes after seeing and ordering a nice three piece brown flannel on ebay. Doing my part.

Also, I've never really liked tan suits much, especially in wool. Sportcoats, sure. Khakis, sure. Suits, wool trousers? Not so much.

14. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

The only other brown Minnis fresco shade is this one

[​IMG]

15. mafoofan

Guys, Reagan was President of the United States. Leader of the Free World. He could afford to make decisions others cannot. He could have showed up anywhere in a velour track suit, and the first thing anybody thought would have been: "Holy shit--it's the President!"

Like I said, style depends on understanding context. To understate: the President's context is somewhat particular.

1 person likes this.
  16. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Yebbut, Mr Reagan was certainly not a farmer.

BTW, Jimmy Stewart is incredulous...

[​IMG]

More seriously, there was - coincidentally - this rather beautiful brown suit posted just yesterday by taylorstav in the WAYWRN thread...

[​IMG]

Unusual these days? Perhaps. Slightly dandyish? Maybe. Old-fashioned? Not really, the cut is contemporary but equally not that of a fashion victim. And either overly casual or rural? Certainly not.*

*Just to make it clear, and in case Foo tries to jump on me here, this is in reference to 'brown is for the farmer' not in relation to the question of brown/tan fresco vs. linen or cotton. [​IMG]

17. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Would it be off-putting to the average American if someone showed up to a business casual event in a tan fresco suit?

18. mafoofan

Despite your fine print, you attempted to insult me earlier on the basis of your own miscomprehension. I have no issue with old-fashioned. In fact, I have no problem with brown suits. I have a brown suit (glen check brown flannel). You are missing the two finer points: 1. Brown suits are more casual than grey or blue suits, and hence much less often appropriate when suits are worn. Takeaway: it is a nice suit to have to wear from time to time, but not a staple. Your wardrobe should be pretty well developed first. 2. Brown fresco is less appropriate than more city, business-oriented colors due to where fresco sits in the spectrum of summer suitings. A brown linen suit, for example, can be a beautiful thing--though its usefulness is highly limited. There is nothing wrong with being a dandy. There is with not being thoughtful about what you are doing and dressing incoherently.

19. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

20. mafoofan

The average American thinks a blazer is a "suit" and has no idea what fresco is. I am not concerned with what random people think and more concerned with what is conceptually good.

Reagan, as a politician, very much cared about what people thought of him. I cannot say to what extent his brown suit entered such a calculus, but the real point to take away is that he is not a good example to follow: (a) his context is too particular to him to be applicable to 99.99% of everybody else, and (b) he was not infallible. His brown suit is not a catastrophe. But it is far from his best look.