• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fresco 'chinos' + suede shoes? Any reason why not?

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
First off, is there anything inherently wrong with having Minnis Fresco made up in a dressier chino configuration (i.e., standard trouser detailing and construction, but cut like I have my chinos made [a bit more relaxed]) and worn without a crease?

I'm looking for something dressier than cotton twill chinos but below most lightweight summer wools in terms of fabric 'roughness', texture, and above all sheen, for 'business casual' (regardless of how dubious a generalization that is; let me know if I need to clarify). Can't stand linen (sorry guys) for pants, casual or not.

My current workplace is more casual and I've had to abandon creased odd trousers (though not textured and casual sport coats, thank christ), and have no problem wearing flannel made up chino cut and without a crease in F/W, but need something for S/S and fresco seems like the obvious choice, but I've not seen any discussion of wearing it casually/having it made in this manner.

Secondly, I can't stand texture clash. All of my sport coats, all seasons, are fit for wear with either cotton twill or flannel, but lately cotton just isn't doing it for me (doesn't help that it's hot as hell here 5 months out of the year, but mostly it's because it just seems too casual, wrinkles too easily even compared to pure linen, etc) and after experimenting with linen-cotton blends and the like, I'm out of ideas. I love my suede shoe collection to death but would never wear them with smooth worsteds or anything like that (no offense to those that do). Again, hence the interest in using fresco (which I haven't before, but am waiting on some dressier odd trousers to be arrive made up in it) for this particular more casual setting.

Long post made short: could this combination work? Think Edward Green Chelseas in mink suede (yes, I wear balmorals outside of suits and even with chinos if they're not leather and the trouser fabric matte enough) or Alden mink Plaza last loafers with sand or light grey fresco, without a crease, and a linen/silk blend (my favorite combination and most of my collection for spring/summer jackets) jacket in mid-navy. I suppose I value aesthetic harmony in texture perhaps way too much...but I can't help myself, texture clash just bugs the living hell out of me.

The obvious solution is to wait for my fresco odd trousers to finish being made and test them against the suede, but I'll be damned if I'm pressing them flat without a crease just to test how they might kind of look worn in a chino cut.

Sorry for the long post.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
This picture (Forex, from the rock your socks thread) makes it look like fresco and suede would jive, texture wise, and makes me think it would work just as well if the trousers had neither cuff nor crease. But before I drop a bunch of cash on bespoke chinos made up of the fabric, I just wanted more feedback.

Thanks.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I think you'll be best suited to wearing cotton-linen blends or linen pants (even with creases, as they crease themselves) if you're looking for warm weather casual pants.

I personally wouldn't wear Minnis Fresco pants in that context.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads