• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frequent Flyer Programs

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which do you use/recommend?

My primary is United's Mileage Plus program. I used to live in Chicago, so almost all of my flights were on United. I'm not there anymore but it's still my program of choice. I'm not a business traveller, so I don't rack up a bajillion flight miles every year. I like the fact that they have so many ways to earn miles (Mileage Plus Mall/Dining, flying other Star Alliance Airlines), and often offer sale flights for reduced miles totals.
The problem is that United sucks.

My wife and I also fly Air-Tran a few times a year, because they're one of the few airlines to offer direct flights from our city to her parent's city. Their program is awful. Points expire exactly 1 year after you earn them, regardless of whether or not you've flown with them in that time.

US Airways' program is pretty good for upgrades, but I usually end up using my United account when I fly with them.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
it's not too hard to rack up enough points for a flight on virgin america, and i think miles can be transferred to virgin atlantic now too. downside is limited domestic destinations.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On Mileage plus as well. They have a ton of partner airlines so I'm happy.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on Continental Onepass w/ the Onepass Plus Mastercard too. Treats me pretty well since I fly NYC>Milan quite often for work

latkaguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Which do you use/recommend?

My primary is United's Mileage Plus program. I used to live in Chicago, so almost all of my flights were on United. I'm not there anymore but it's still my program of choice. I'm not a business traveller, so I don't rack up a bajillion flight miles every year. I like the fact that they have so many ways to earn miles (Mileage Plus Mall/Dining, flying other Star Alliance Airlines), and often offer sale flights for reduced miles totals.
The problem is that United sucks.

My wife and I also fly Air-Tran a few times a year, because they're one of the few airlines to offer direct flights from our city to her parent's city. Their program is awful. Points expire exactly 1 year after you earn them, regardless of whether or not you've flown with them in that time.

US Airways' program is pretty good for upgrades, but I usually end up using my United account when I fly with them.

I think the main concern is what partnerships your airline has. I like Star Alliance because of the options that it gives me in accumulating and using points. If you are on United, U.S. Air, or Continental, you can also fly and accumulate points on things like Air Canada, Lufthansa, British Midland, Turkish, Swiss, Air New Zealand, Ansett, Singapore, Asiana, Thai, SAS, etc, etc. This also means use of their business class lounges, and other perks. As this is the biggest alliance, it is the one that I go for. I am Super Elite on Air Canada, so I do travel a lot, and am going to be cashing in on pleasure travel on a number of airlines as a result.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads