Frequency of AE Model Discontinuation

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wgiceman, Aug 24, 2006.

1. wgiceman

wgiceman Senior member

How often does Allen Edmonds discontinue their shoe models? Is there a certain time each year, or is it based on sales performance of the item? Or is it at random?

I have really grown fond of their shoes due to the info gained from this forum. I look forward to getting into the english brands.

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

How often does Allen Edmonds discontinue their shoe models? Is there a certain time each year, or is it based on sales performance of the item? Or is it at random?

I have really grown fond of their shoes due to the info gained from this forum. I look forward to getting into the english brands.

I'm not sure there's a schedule. AE has been doing some retrenching lately and has introduced a number of new shoes in the last year while phasing out several others, but that is probably more the exception than the rule.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

JLibourel will swoop in with expert opinion soon, I'm sure, but I believe there is a regular schedule of new model introduction and discontinuation.

4. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Not sure about the timelines but I always find that the AE styles I find attractive are discontinued and the new models don't appeal to me.

5. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Not sure about the timelines but I always find that the AE styles I find attractive are discontinued and the new models don't appeal to me.

Their new chelsea boot and double-monk are pretty nice-looking, actually. IMHO.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Allen-Edmonds changes their line twice a year. They have a Spring and a Fall collection. New styles are introduced and older ones discontinued concomittant with that. The shoes discontinued for the Spring 2006 collection went on closeout status in mid-December. As I recall, those dropped for the Fall collection went on closeout in late June or early July of this year.

7. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Allen-Edmonds changes their line twice a year. They have a Spring and a Fall collection. New styles are introduced and older ones discontinued concomittant with that. The shoes discontinued for the Spring 2006 collection went on closeout status in mid-December. As I recall, those dropped for the Fall collection went on closeout in late June or early July of this year.

Right. But would you agree that the turnover in the last year has been greater than usual, or do you think the number of discontinued and introduced models was typical?