• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's true, but once something like that enters the public mentality, big makers figure out how to imitate pretty well while making everything else cheaply. If not inevitable, it's at least likely. Remember before Indochino when surgeon cuffs meant you must have a bespoke suit? That's what "The Secret Vice" is focused on.

My point is, using some essentially meaningless thing like buttonholes to reassure yourself of the untold artisanal handmade man hours that went into your coat is both an exploitable strategy and a missed opportunity. Not only do you expose yourself to potential trickery, you (not you specifically dirnelli, I know you have a great appreciation for all the finer aspects of tailoring) trade the pleasure that comes from noticing a particularly nice lapel roll or a well cut shoulder for the hollow and tenuous satisfaction that your suit is "better quality" than everyone else's and the hope that someone else notices. This distortion of values is the main reason I think these "rules of thumb" are often counter-productive.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're reaching a bit.

When a component of something is executed at a higher level of quality, at the very least you have that incremental improvement (in the component). And it shows the maker is putting in the effort there where others are not. Generally, the more signals of quality you have (i.e. working button holes, handstiched botton holes, hand stiching, hand attached arms/collars, nice buttons, high quality cloth, high armholes, canvas instead of fusing, etc), the more quality you are likely to have.

Sure, makers can conspicuously try to signal quality while failing to deliver as a whole, and maybe some do. But the extra effort and expense in those signals works best when paired with underlying quality, because that is what builds reputation, and business.

Its kind of like how you won't get a good return on your investment if you build an amazing house on a ****** street. The incremental steps up tend to go together well.

So I think it is not unreasonable to infer an incremental increase in quality when you see the signals of it.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
A well-made buttonhole by itself is not sufficient for a good jacket, but it does contribute to the jacket being beautiful. If your dinner starts with a well-made cocktail, it doesn't necessarily mean that the whole meal will be a success. But it certainly enhances the dinner. It might also be a sign that the restaurant pays attention to detail, increasing the likelihood (though it's far from inevitable) that the meal will be well-prepared.

dirnelli

Reaction score
I giess it really depends what signals -- kissing vs. overlapping buttons signals nothing.

Remember the sandbox days of MTM when having a contrasting lining was supposed to signify some kind of quality in the suit -- we all saw how that ended...

Discussions on visible quality signs are an exercise in futility, makers are always playing with our collective minds -- think AMF stitching machine. I heard of a machine that now imitates human stitching by randomizing spacing to give it an irregular more handmade look.

Time for Jeffrey D. to join in and enlighten us on all these tricks of the trade...

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JefferyD wrote a great post about how to tell an authentic Brioni by looking at the underside of the collar. Use it as a guide to examine your bespoke vs RTW. I learned quite a bit.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This post by jefferyd explains a fake Brioni with badly made collar.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/270842/brioni-suit-real-or-fake-help-please/30_30#post_4899304

Here is his blog post about the different undercollars and how they relate to quality.

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/2008/11/collars-dead-giveaway.html

I'm sure J is right in those posts. But say a fair number of people start paying $2k for suits without the zig zag stitch on the collar, but otherwise the same as a $150 retail suit. You're telling me some manufacturer can't replicate the same exterior look to those collars, even without the interior construction that they currently signal, keep everything else the same, and make a mint?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm saying that at this point in time, Jefferyd's observation regarding the correlation between the construction of the undercollar and overall quality is very useful. Look around at your bespoke stuff by Steed and NSM and compare it to other RTW of various quality and see if you notice the same correlation. I do.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Thanks for that.

I was surprised because Cifonelli are by all accounts the masters of those little details.

I will still buy a couple of their jackets when I come to Paris in October though. I can't wait actually.

Last edited:

Romain

Reaction score
I was thinking that this topic "French Tailoring" was made to promote French bespoke. Whatever it's French, Italian or English, I don't really mind to talk and learn about others tailors. : ) A thread about the business of bespoke tailoring and the listing of prices might be interesting for SF users. Anyway, I was at Cifonelli today for my jacket. I saw a funny detail on Lorenzo seersucker jacket.
I am surprised the button is overlapping rather than "kissing"? I thought the kissing buttons were a sure sign of a well made jacket.
Actually, I believe that "kissing" buttons means overlapping buttons, and it is rather a style choice than a sign of quality.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sure J is right in those posts. But say a fair number of people start paying $2k for suits without the zig zag stitch on the collar, but otherwise the same as a $150 retail suit. You're telling me some manufacturer can't replicate the same exterior look to those collars, even without the interior construction that they currently signal, keep everything else the same, and make a mint?

You didn't really get the gist of what I was saying. Is that how you spell gist?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads