French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by poorsod, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

^I can't speak as to Ripense or Camps de Luca because I've never had bespoke from either, but the major differences between Napolisumisura and Cifonelli are:

(1) styling. The two houses are trying to do something so fundamentally different in terms of styling that I'm not sure how one would think one is a suitable substitute for the other. Mina isn't cutting a close-fitting coat, she doesn't cut a coat with high arm holes, and I would describe her sleeves as significantly wider than any tailor that has ever made, where as Cifonelli's are easily the smallest. Cifonelli favors a shorter coat than Mina, and even when Cifonelli's shoulder doesn't have a rope to it, there is still significantly more structuring in the shoulders and chest than anything from Mina. Mina also basically has one style of jacket. Cifonelli has about 30.

(2) fit. Lorenzo is pretty much in a league of his own in terms of fitting among the tailors I've used. Everything hits exactly where it should (and it has to achieve the sculpting in the chest and shoulders that he is trying to achieve). Mina cuts a decent coat for the price, but it as about the same fit you would get from RTW if you have a relatively normal body type.

(3) Consistency: All of my pieces from Mina vary significantly from one another. Some may be ok with that. I found it incredibly bothersome. Cifonelli cuts a pretty consistent coat.

(4) Quality: it isn't just about handwork, but about longevity and degree of care. You don't find things coming apart on a Cifo suit the way you do on Mina's.

Obviously the money part is a significant and personal choice. I wish I came out the same way as Dirnelli but after trying a lot of tailors over the years, I'm down to Cifonelli and Huntsman. My experience is that the people charging the top prices are justified in doing so.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

2. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

To be fair here, Mina isn't a cutter. When working with someone like Cifonelli you get to dealing with one of their cutters, right?

I wouldn't go to a tailoring house where I'm being measured by a salesperson.

I have no personal experience with NsM, though, just stating my impressions.

3. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Mina isn't a cutter and the Cifonelli's are (and I believe one of either Massimo or Lorenzo measures and cuts every customer).

4. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Regardless of how each shop handles orders, it's on them to get things right. Generally, that means the cutter should be there for fittings.

Also, there is the price point. NSM is half the price of Cifonelli. If you want to draw stronger conclusions regarding regional differences, Rubinacci is a better comparison. There you will get service more like what Cifonelli gets you, and from what I've seen, better workmanship. Mariano's strategy is to poach the best talent from all the different shops in Naples by paying top dollar (ahem, euro). I've heard a few of his competitors confirm that.

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I have a Cifonelli suit and my meetings were with mainly Lorenzo but with Massimo also around..

My Cifonelli suit fits me like a glove...

6. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

I forgot about Marianno and Luca being "mere" salespersons, too. They are accompanied by a cutter, though, if I'm reading the highlighted right?

7. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Not always. However, Mariano is sort of an exception to the rule. In my experience, he is often even pickier and more acute than the cutter.

8. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

ahh, but which Cifonelli is the preferred cutter?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

9. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

^All my suits have been cut by Lorenzo. Massimo does come to New York from time to time and when I asked Lorenzo if there was any difference between a suit cut by him and one cut by his cousin, his response was "no, both will be Cifonelli".

10. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

His response doesn't surprise me, but how can that be? They aren't robots or clones.

If I'm not mistaken each have cut for me and IMO one is better for me. Also, I've had fittings with each separately (as well as both at the same time) and one went for a closer fit every time.

Perhaps it is just my experience....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

11. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Do tell. Which is your preference?

12. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

IME, based on my preferences and body shape, I like the cutting of one and the fitting of the other...:devil:

13. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

^also to my eye their own clothes are cut and fit a little differently. Unmistakenly Cifonelli, but a little different. For example Massimo appears to like longer, tighter jackets with looser pants.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

14. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Senior member

That's interesting. You consider that Rubinacci has better workmanship than Cifonelli?
    What makes you say that? In terms of finishing details, I don't see anyone in the league of Cifonelli apart from Camps de Luca. Now for the structuring of the jacket, I also think that Cifonelli is outstanding. I'm very keen of getting your impressions.

Totally agree that the cutter should be on site for fittings.

NSM is actually 40% of the price of Cifonelli so I agree that they're playing in different leagues.

Cifo, Camps, Huntsman, Poole, Caraceni, Rubinacci are in the same pricing range.

15. dirnelli

dirnelli Senior member

And let us not forget Liverano and Panico in that price range.