Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by poorsod, Apr 28, 2013.

1. HighToned

HighToned Senior member

I enjoyed the Professional tv show of NHK on tailor Kenjiro Suzuki... Some part was very interesting, with nice explications.

I was disappointed when they showed Camps de Luca building, but Cifonelli atelier... I really wanted to see Smalto bespoke workshop, too bad. They only showed pictures.

For people in Japan, Kenjiro Sukuki is doing a two speechs at Wako Ginza, then he will be available for Bespoke order.
    http://www.wako.co.jp/news/458?back=0

I think people asked in this post for pictures of Dimitri Gomez shoes. I went two times to his atelier be annoying with him and took few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

2. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

The Rake's owner, Wei Koh, in his Cifonelli bespoke suit. Looks like a mess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

3. dirnelli

dirnelli Senior member

Thanks Kuro for posting the NHK story about Kenjiro Suzuki, that was fascinating to watch.

Here's some more content to fuel the thread:

1) A customer review (in French, with pics) of an ex-Smalto tailor who has set out on his own:

http://dirnelli.tumblr.com/post/70201958390/guest-post-in-french-follower-benjamin-reviews

2) Thrift bragging rights pic of a Cifonelli bespoke DB coat:

http://dirnelli.tumblr.com/post/70567436717/even-though-i-am-no-longer-buying-clothes-there

3) Does anybody have feedback to contribute on the new bespoke act in town, Emmanuel Vischer, who has set up in the old Rovito shop ?

4. dirnelli

dirnelli Senior member

P.P.S. Does anyone have experience to share about Rambure, Guilson, or Diagne?

5. Romain

Romain Senior member

A friend has a suit made by David Diagne (text is in French) : http://engrandepompe.forumpersos.com/t1049-experience-chez-un-tailleur?highlight=expérience

Here are also a few pictures of a visit of his workshop and dinner we had with him a few years ago : http://engrandepompe.forumpersos.com/t1189-david-diagne-tailleur-a-paris?highlight=diagne

He is very friendly and talented. The cut reminds me of Smalto and Kenjiro Suzuki, a little more affirmed than Suzuki (e.g. wider lapels), very soft (no shoulder pad).

6. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

Never pay RRP?

Are you saying you turn up at a place like Cifonelli and ask for a discount? How do they react?

7. dirnelli

dirnelli Senior member

By that, I mean that I buy RTW only during sales, clearances, online, auctioned or thrifted.

8. Dandy Wonka

Thanks so much for that SeamasterLux.

I am going to Paris next October and my first place to go to will be Cifonelli. I plan to buy two jackets and was going to make that Travel Jacket one of them. However, I am a well rounded person and am concerned about the tight fit of their jackets. Should I be?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

9. Dandy Wonka

Thanks.

I am surprised these guys discount. Even in the sales.

10. dirnelli

dirnelli Senior member

The Cifonelli house cut is notoriously tight around the chest, in part due to the shoulders which are turned forward. However, given the excellence of their tailoring skills, I am sure that they are quite accustomed to cutting perfectly fitting suits for all body types. Be prepared to feel a suit that fits tight however, since that is their style. It can catch certain customers off guard if they are used to loosely fitting suits. Once you become accustomed to tighter fitting suits, it's hard to go back and, if you're like me, you end up taking in your entire wardrobe.

11. Dandy Wonka

Thanks for the reply.

Being a classic "V" shape (unfortunately upside down though) I shy away from tight fitting clothes. It will certainly be a new experience.

Anyway, I have ten months so hopefully I can drop a couple of chins in the meantime.

12. Dandy Wonka

I brought the crazy red lace Aubercy when I was there in November. Now just waiting for it to show up.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014

13. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

Indeed, they stuffed me into a 50 as a guess and approved. Skin like, indeed, in the chest.
    I wonder what size I am now with my incredible mass up?

I cannot recall a Cifo on someone who is very misshapen or extremely portly. I think the short and tight style of today is not so great for some bodies but Cifo should do a spot on job no matter the client. At least i would expect so.

14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Dirnelli do you have pics of your cifonelli RTW? When do they have their RTW sales and what is the price point? Thanks.