• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Riviera

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I have stolen this quote from the Rake, but this is an ideal summer style:

Unless on or near the beach, always wear long trousers, preferably in linen, cotton or very light summer wool, in cream, white or navy - red if one is feeling especially rakish. Long-sleeved polos in dark blue or light grey, or open necked shirts in linen or cotton - white, light blue, navy or striped (Bengal, for example) – are all firm favourites of mine. One should always go sockless, but sandals are a no-no: I prefer driving shoes such as those by Tod’s, slippers (Stubbs & Wootton is a good place to start), espadrilles and loafers, especially in tobacco suede and brown tones. The good old navy blazer, or a linen jacket (single or double breasted) in beige or brown shades and light cashmere cardigans all complement the look perfectly.”

I have most of the above hopefully I will be in the French, Italian or Croatian Riviera this summer.
Speaking of the French Riviera (I don’t know the others), where I used to go every summer until a few years ago (too crowded in the summertime now):
the traditional look (not on the beach) was long trousers indeed (cotton), short-sleeved polos (Lacoste, Fred Perry, Smedley, RL), espadrille or loafers - both sans socks of course, and eventually a light sweater on your shoulders for the end of the evening.
Sandals ? The best way to spot a German tourist, and if sandals with socks, an English tourist.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is just patently not true. Even if you feel the heat more than the average person. in Houston you go from a/c house to a/c car to a/c office etc and the only time anyone should consider wearing anything as ugly as a fishing shirt is when they are actually on a boat (with no a/c) fishing! And even then there are better alternatives!!

Caveat should've been that during the summer, I use any excuse I can to be on/around the water, so fishing shirts make a lot of sense for me. But it doesn't change the point I'm making that the humidity makes any fabric uncomfortable down here in a way that doesn't happen in drier climates.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caveat should've been that during the summer, I use any excuse I can to be on/around the water, so fishing shirts make a lot of sense for me. But it doesn't change the point I'm making that the humidity makes any fabric uncomfortable down here in a way that doesn't happen in drier climates.
Well that makes more sense otherwise there would be four million people wandering around Houston either suffering heat exhaustion or wearing fishing shirts! Or both!?

Panama

Reaction score

Leiker

Reaction score
Well that makes more sense otherwise there would be four million people wandering around Houston either suffering heat exhaustion or wearing fishing shirts! Or both!?
Every man from Houston to Jacksonville - along the I-10 corridor - is in a fishing shirt from April through September, except for me ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads