• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Riviera

Panama

Reaction score
I have stolen this quote from the Rake, but this is an ideal summer style:

Unless on or near the beach, always wear long trousers, preferably in linen, cotton or very light summer wool, in cream, white or navy - red if one is feeling especially rakish. Long-sleeved polos in dark blue or light grey, or open necked shirts in linen or cotton - white, light blue, navy or striped (Bengal, for example) – are all firm favourites of mine. One should always go sockless, but sandals are a no-no: I prefer driving shoes such as those by Tod’s, slippers (Stubbs & Wootton is a good place to start), espadrilles and loafers, especially in tobacco suede and brown tones. The good old navy blazer, or a linen jacket (single or double breasted) in beige or brown shades and light cashmere cardigans all complement the look perfectly.”

I have most of the above hopefully I will be in the French, Italian or Croatian Riviera this summer.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Unless on or near the beach, always wear long trousers, preferably in linen, cotton or very light summer wool, in cream, white or navy - red if one is feeling especially rakish. Long-sleeved polos in dark blue or light grey, or open necked shirts in linen or cotton - white, light blue, navy or striped (Bengal, for example) – are all firm favourites of mine. One should always go sockless, but sandals are a no-no: I prefer driving shoes such as those by Tod’s, slippers (Stubbs & Wootton is a good place to start), espadrilles and loafers, especially in tobacco suede and brown tones. The good old navy blazer, or a linen jacket (single or double breasted) in beige or brown shades and light cashmere cardigans all complement the look perfectly.”

I have most of the above hopefully I will be in the French, Italian or Croatian Riviera this summer.

David Niven in private life, French Riviera.

Niven in character, French Riviera.

Not a lot has changed.

fdc4a039a32bc3be1b4fcbcbe768a996.jpg

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Unless on or near the beach, always wear long trousers, preferably in linen, cotton or very light summer wool

One only has to spend a little time living in a city such as Bangkok to learn that even linen has its limits. I wish I could dress like this in Thailand, as I quickly grow tired of dressing like a child in shorts and flip flops just to avoid dying.

adschus

Reaction score
One only has to spend a little time living in a city such as Bangkok to learn that even linen has its limits. I wish I could dress like this in Thailand, as I quickly grow tired of dressing like a child in shorts and flip flops just to avoid dying.

Good point. Somewhere with a constant wind would help to bring the effects of humidity down but, there are countless places long sleeve polos are too warm.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep. I used to have this argument all the time with people on AAAC that were insistent that "shorts should only be worn by children"- July-September in Houston is only comfortable in a fishing shirt and shorts. With the humidity here, even linen will just stick to you. For the office, sure, lots of linen and linen blends, but casually, all bets are off.

Panama

Reaction score
Yep. I used to have this argument all the time with people on AAAC that were insistent that "shorts should only be worn by children"- July-September in Houston is only comfortable in a fishing shirt and shorts. With the humidity here, even linen will just stick to you. For the office, sure, lots of linen and linen blends, but casually, all bets are off.

My new office look...

04.02.17-TABS-188_2000x.jpg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be way too hot to wear a jacket and tie in the summer time in Houston.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See Cary Grant ( who else?) in To Catch a Thief (1955)
thief2.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Subtract the cardigan (I don’t like ‘em!) and that just about described accurately my summer weekend togs. Maybe I need to fire up an Instagram account!!
Where exactly in The Rake was this borrowed from?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is just patently not true. Even if you feel the heat more than the average person. in Houston you go from a/c house to a/c car to a/c office etc and the only time anyone should consider wearing anything as ugly as a fishing shirt is when they are actually on a boat (with no a/c) fishing! And even then there are better alternatives!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads