• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French phrase Ts

Status
Not open for further replies.

alchimiste

Reaction score
[...] who will naturally assume that anyone with French on his shirt is clearly a homosexual, or worse, a liberal
or worse, a Frenchman.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(ken @ May 07 2005,21:21)
Originally Posted by Brian SD,May 07 2005,20:35
Damn, chill out PHV.
How do you know a frenchman has been in your backyard? Your garbage cans are knocked over and your dog is pregnant.
It's strange that telling jokes about African Americans, Mexicans and Jewish people aren't as acceptable to equally racist remarks about the French. Funny enough, most of those comments come from intellectual midgets most of the time.
Strange, maybe, but laws are that way. French people and white people in general have not experienced discrimination in the same way as, say, Jewish or black people, so anti-discrimination laws do not apply to them, as there has been deemed to be no systemic bias against them. In California, at least, there are protected groups, and others. So, for example, I can remark that white men can't dance, but cannot make a similar generalization about a protected group (say, black lesbians.) Is it unfair? Yes. Is it unjust? Apparently not. BTW, I know plenty of very intelligent people (by pretty much any standard you wish to apply) who also happen to be misogynists, rascists, whatever. They just happen to be more circumspect than some redneck (note that southern white dudes are not a protected group) out in Florida.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ken @ May 07 2005,21:21)
Damn, chill out PHV.
How do you know a frenchman has been in your backyard? Your garbage cans are knocked over and your dog is pregnant.
It's strange that telling jokes about African Americans, Mexicans and Jewish people aren't as acceptable to equally racist remarks about the French. Funny enough, most of those comments come from intellectual midgets most of the time.
The French aren't a race you dolt. People don't typically make racist comments about African-Americans, either. They make racist comments ******************. I'd suggest you avoid looking down on people in the future, lest you feel the wrath of the Canadian race.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(PHV @ May 07 2005,23:20)
Originally Posted by ken,May 07 2005,21:21
Damn, chill out PHV.

Strange, maybe, but laws are that way. French people and white people in general have not experienced discrimination in the same way as, say, Jewish or black people, so anti-discrimination laws do not apply to them, as there has been deemed to be no systemic bias against them. In California, at least, there are protected groups, and others. So, for example, I can remark that white men can't dance, but cannot make a similar generalization about a protected group (say, black lesbians.) Is it unfair? Yes. Is it unjust? Apparently not. BTW, I know plenty of very intelligent people (by pretty much any standard you wish to apply) who also happen to be misogynists, rascists, whatever. They just happen to be more circumspect than some redneck (note that southern white dudes are not a protected group) out in Florida.
You can say whatever you want about anyone you want so long as it's not unlawful. Your own level of tact, sense of humor, etc. dictates who you can and cannot make statements about. Obviously, generalizations tend to be erroneous by their very nature, but if you want to make a comment about black lesbians, no one is going to stop you or provide censure. Context is key.

PHV

Reaction score
(PHV @ May 07 2005,23:20)
Damn, chill out PHV.

The French aren't a race you dolt. People don't typically make racist comments about African-Americans, either. Â They make racist comments ******************. I'd suggest you avoid looking down on people in the future, lest you feel the wrath of the Canadian race.
Ok, so the French are not a race. It's still wrong. And again, it always seems to come from people like you. Where are you from, o illustrious one?

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but if you want to make a comment about black lesbians, no one is going to stop you or provide censure.
Actually, this can lead to severe reprecussions in some cases.
These are also instances wherein it would be inappropriate to make an off-color (get it?) remark about whites.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(orbitingio @ May 08 2005,11:54)
Originally Posted by PHV,May 07 2005,23:20
Damn, chill out PHV.

The French aren't a race you dolt. People don't typically make racist comments about African-Americans, either. They make racist comments ******************. I'd suggest you avoid looking down on people in the future, lest you feel the wrath of the Canadian race.
Ok, so the French are not a race. It's still wrong. And again, it always seems to come from people like you. Where are you from, o illustrious one?
It's not "wrong," necessarily. I've no real interest in getting in e-pissing contests with someone with such a pointless and unjustified superiority contest (not to mention someone who's so poorly equipped to do so), but I'll elaborate on that: Most people who make "French" jokes are: a.) not serious and b.) not funny The only real inherent "wrong" aspect that I see to it is that these people have a seriously underdeveloped sense of humor in the vast majority of cases. Although there will be occasional bits of "fresh" humor in regard to any given nationality, etc. it's typically an entire arsenal of jokes that are long past their expiration date. Obviously, in the instance that it's someone who actively dislikes the French, they've probably got bigger problems than telling bad jokes. Disliking an entire nationality or race is symptomatic of a number of massive character flaws. Anyhow, it's not as though there aren't three billion "American" jokes (many of which you'll hear coming from American mouths.), most of which are equally unfunny.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
These are also instances wherein it would be inappropriate to make an off-color (get it?) remark about whites.
Name one.

PHV

Reaction score
(PHV @ May 08 2005,14:16)
Originally Posted by orbitingio,May 08 2005,11:54
Originally Posted by PHV,May 07 2005,23:20
Damn, chill out PHV.

The French aren't a race you dolt. People don't typically make racist comments about African-Americans, either. Â They make racist comments ******************. I'd suggest you avoid looking down on people in the future, lest you feel the wrath of the Canadian race.

It's not "wrong," necessarily. Â I've no real interest in getting in e-pissing contests with someone with such a pointless and unjustified superiority contest (not to mention someone who's so poorly equipped to do so), but I'll elaborate on that: Most people who make "French" jokes are: a.) not serious and b.) not funny The only real inherent "wrong" aspect that I see to it is that these people have a seriously underdeveloped sense of humor in the vast majority of cases. Â Although there will be occasional bits of "fresh" humor in regard to any given nationality, etc. it's typically an entire arsenal of jokes that are long past their expiration date. Obviously, in the instance that it's someone who actively dislikes the French, they've probably got bigger problems than telling bad jokes. Â Disliking an entire nationality or race is symptomatic of a number of massive character flaws. Anyhow, it's not as though there aren't three billion "American" jokes (many of which you'll hear coming from American mouths.), most of which are equally unfunny.
Jokes are meant to be funny. I laugh at "racist" jokes, but anti-French sentiments in the US have existed for a while now, and the comments that are often made are more out of contempt than humor. O, and orbiwhatever, you assume a great deal. Worry about your own equipment, or lack thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads