• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

French national football team suit

tricket

Reaction score
Yes they lost the final but I enjoyed watching them in their team suits more than their sports suits....heyhey....

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
I have to say, he was one of the best dressed coaches. The coach for the Italian side, as my wife pointed out, did not dress nearly as formally.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator Sartoris
Is it me or are his shirt sleeves a tad long?

His shirt cuffs are unbuttoned.

atalante

Reaction score
zidane's headbutt turned me off bigtime, but i have to say that the unbuttoned cuffs do a lot to win me back....

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a number of things wrong with the suit-sunglasses look. The sunglasses themselves can be questioned, but the suit appears ill-fitting and too much attention goes to the prominent pockets. (The scorecard contributes to that, too.) It all makes the wearer look out of shape and sloppy.

The other outfits are good.

Edit: although the player in the first picture should be showing some cuff.

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not that there's any reason why you should care if you don't know already, but FWIW the player in that first picture is Thierry Henry, one of the stars of the French team (perhaps the most famous non-headbutting member of the team).
I don't disagree with your other comments but would note that I'd be hard-pressed not to look a whole lot more sloppy and out of shape than that after coaching a long, tense soccer game in the kind of scorching heat I understand the teams experienced in Germany.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I'd be hard-pressed not to look a whole lot more sloppy and out of shape than that after coaching a long, tense soccer game in the kind of scorching heat I understand the teams experienced in Germany.

NFL coaches are prohibited from wearing suits, so they get to eliminate the wilting factor. They can finish the game looking just as slovenly as when they started.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
NFL coaches are prohibited from wearing suits

Though that was not always the case.

George (Papa Bear) Halas and Vince Lombardi before a game at Wrigley Field in 1963.

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
NFL coaches are prohibited from wearing suits, so they get to eliminate the wilting factor. They can finish the game looking just as slovenly as when they started.
I did not know that. I can think of many reasons why an NFL coach might choose not to wear a suit during a game, but what is the theory behind prohibiting it?
I was contemplating some sort of Vikings joke here, but couldn't think of anything funny enough to balance out the potential poor taste . . .

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
what is the theory behind prohibiting it?

Marketing. The coaches and staff wear NFL team branded clothing.

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Marketing. The coaches and staff wear NFL team branded clothing.
Dammit, I hate finding myself to be insufficiently jaded and cynical. But thanks for the info . . .

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit I'm wearing today is a fairly close match to the French team suit, though mine is a low-buttoning-point 3B, and lacks the five-button cuff and crest. Hope nobody mistakes me for a French football coach.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 131 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 246 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40