French Foreign Legion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TyCooN, Dec 11, 2008.

1. SField

SField Senior member

Speaking from experience or your ass?

More experience than you'll ever have, and a little from my ass. My mouth gets tired on occassion.

2. unjung

unjung Senior member

Tycoon, I say go for it. At least you'll have stories.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Tycoon, why did the marines reject you?

4. lithium180

lithium180 Senior member

Speaking from experience or your ass?

good call. That one's officially on the ignore list.

5. romafan

romafan Senior member

6. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

Tycoon, why did the marines reject you?
    I talk to the Chaplain a bit, then he refers me over to medical. They end up sending me to the Mental Health Unit. MHU discovers I had depression in the past. I get kept in the Recruit Separation Platoon for about 1.5 weeks as they process my papers for an Entry Level Separation. The last day there a civilian strokes you off, as he tells you getting an ELS is actually a good thing. When people get an ELS it's as if they don't know the military and the military doesn't know them. "Mental" health problems are the ones least likely to get waived. Boot camp isn't like the old school one anymore. Kids can't get hit by the drill instructors, we even had one get fired for kicking sand into someone's face. People can get out now if they're gay, suicidal, extremely tall, "can't do pull-ups", horrible at firing a rifle, etc. There were even a few guys who faked and lied about asthma just to go home. People even desert in boot camp, and they get sent home with a slap on the wrist for it.

7. SField

SField Senior member

good call. That one's officially on the ignore list.

Go set up your harem, douchebag.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

There are plenty of books about the FFL. Search Amazon. It would be a way to get some adventure and extreme experiences under your belt, maybe more than you want. Your cohorts would tend toward the brutish and non intellectual. That is something which you should seriously think about. IMHO, the military life is not always best for a person who is the cerebral type, and the FL is on the extreme of that. Legionaires are quite expendable.

9. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

There are plenty of books about the FFL. Search Amazon. It would be a way to get some adventure and extreme experiences under your belt, maybe more than you want. Your cohorts would tend toward the brutish and non intellectual. That is something which you should seriously think about. IMHO, the military life is not always best for a person who is the cerebral type, and the FL is on the extreme of that. Legionaires are quite expendable.
    Yea, I saw a lot of those at boot camp.

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

+1

11. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

I highly recommend "Legion of the Lost" by Jaime Salazar. He's an American, who joined the FFL just after graduating from Purdue. Great, interesting read.

12. SField

SField Senior member

globetrotter, iirc you were in the IDF. What made you do that over the FFL?

Probably the fact that he was born in israel.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

A friend of mine who was in the Marines trained with the FFL in French Guyana. He found them pretty creepy. Extremely tough, but very "Rough Trade," if you get my meaning.

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

A friend of mine who was in the Marines trained with the FFL in French Guyana. He found them pretty creepy. Extremely tough, but very "Rough Trade," if you get my meaning.

Rough trade like the Spartans?