• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French cuffs without cuff links?

dumadiscount

Reaction score
Evening casual setting, french cuff shirt, no tie, blazer.

Is it ok to wear a French cuff shirt without cufflinks?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
It sort of requires a modicum of personal style - aka - Brad Pitt in Oceans 11.

If you can pull it off, all the more power to you.

Buster

Reaction score
How does it look? You fold it with putting the cuff links or you just let it hang out?

dumadiscount

Reaction score
folded without links
smile.gif

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would you walk around with a long sleeve shirt unbuttoned and the sleeves not rolled up? If not, then you shouldn't do it with double cuffs either. It would be a fairly artless affectation or a sign of severe forgetfulness.

jekv12

Reaction score
Returning from Montreal several years ago after the Grand Prix I was in the airport at the same time as the Ferrari F1 team. They were wearing gray trousers (brown shoes that more or less matched their leather carryalls), blue blazers and white shirts - double cuffs with no links. I think they had them folded up over the blazer sleeve - ie the double came up the outside of the sleeve, covering the sleeve buttons. I say "I think" because I recall seeing a lot of white, but it wasn't covering their hands.

They could get away with it. Not sure I could, or that I'd want to try.

dumadiscount

Reaction score
i was going to wear them uncuffed completely under the sleave of the blazer, but now i think ill just wear links.
biggrin.gif

alchimiste

Reaction score
What's the point? If you wear them folded inside the sleeve of the balzer then links or no links will not make that big of a difference.

demo5

Reaction score
I saw Henri Bernard Levy wear them unbuttoned under a sport coat on Charlie Rose last month... they looked good, but you definitely need a certain style to pull it off (maybe being French helps
smile.gif
)

esvoboda

Reaction score
It looks like one is trying too hard. It's an awful look.

No.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .

Well, as mentionned, unless you're Brad Pitt.

Another look for you to peruse : Keep them folded, with one half folded OVER your blazer's sleeves, no cufflink and for added classiness, leave 2-3 of your blazer sleeves buttons unbuttoned.

.luc

alchimiste

Reaction score
I saw Henri Bernard Levy wear them unbuttoned under a sport coat on Charlie Rose last month
He has something against closures in general, not just the cuffs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads