french cuffs: too showy for certain occasions?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brainchild, Jan 5, 2012.

1. brainchild

brainchild Senior member

Are there any occasions on which you wouldn't where a french cuff shirt, say for argument a plain white one? Interviews? Funerals? Do they stand out to much, in your opinion?

2. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Suits only, skip for job interviews and ,obviously, funerals (unless black onyx, etc.).

3. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

So long as a suit and tie are appropriate, I think a french cuff shirt is fine so long as the cufflinks are not gaudy.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^The foregoing is my opinion as well.

I don't think French cuffs would be out of line with a dressy blue blazer, either.

5. swiego

swiego Senior member

I generally wouldn't wear one to an interview. I wouldn't want to be wearing one if I went to an after-work sports bar for a beer or something. I dislike them when it's very, very hot outside and I have to be out and about. Otherwise, I don't mind them at all.

6. jonuiuc

jonuiuc Active Member

I wear french cuffs often. You can dress them down with silk knots etc. When you get comfortable with them, you'll be wearing them just like any other cuffs, even sans jacket. An added plus, most every women seems to like them. The only times I wouldn't wear them are the times that require subtlety or modesty: job interviews (applicant), funerals, etc.

Most sweaters don't seem to work very well with them and the double fold can feel like too much material during warmer weather. I don't wear them with watches.

I also try to avoid having "too much going on". So if I have already have something interesting or out of the ordinary, like monk straps (shiny buckle) or a pocket square that really "pops", etc., then I shy away from the more flashy cufflinks...

7. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

+1

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

just a personal preference, but I rarely wear them and especially wouldn't to a job interview, but weddings yes.

9. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

This

10. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Depends on the work place I think. I know at a certain Wells Fargo corporate location it was an unspoken rule that only senior management wore cufflinks. There wasn't some sort of written rule about it though.

11. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

I wear them almost everyday I wear a suit (4 days a wek) and would never hesitate to wear them to a job interview.

12. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

You wear them and get a promotion?

13. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

I wore them to an interview today. I was suit and tie; the guy I was talking to was in pants and button down. The interview went great and I got offered the job. That said, they are pretty tame cuff links.

14. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I would agree not to wear french cuffs for an interview or funeral or if working for insecure and/or pompous management.
    Since I grew my hair out (it is to my shoulders currently) I have discovered that French cuffs and a ponytail give me the appearance of some form of Playboy bunny, an unpublished one perhaps. They don't suit everyone to begin with so each to his own limitations. Here is a brief discussion on wearing with a sport coat : http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...86545-French-cuff-with-a-sport-coat-or-blazer

15. guymac12

guymac12 Senior member

French cuffs are supposed to nbe worn for formal gatherings, I wore them a few times for weddings just mainly to dress up the suit.