French cuffs, oxford shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by boston, Jun 16, 2005.

1. boston

boston Senior member

I find myself owning a spread collar, french cuff shirt (fairly slim fit) made out of fairly coarse white oxford.

The cloth is not bad, it's just sort of thick and textured. A button down, barrel cuff shirt in this fabric would be a classic, but I'm not sure what to make of it with a high spread and french cuffs. It looks fine, fits well, feels good, but I'm afraid it's a bit of a sartorial mutt.

What do you people think?

honestly, this is one of those things i would not think twice about if I spent less time on this board.

-boston

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Does the weave pattern sort of hava a diamond effect, or is it more rounded, like a birdseye? If the former, then it is royal oxford, a classic dressy winter shirt. (Most people find it too thick for spring/summer.) If it's regular oxford, I agree that it is incongruous with a spread collar and french cuffs.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I have a royal oxford french cuff shirt that is fine and gets a fair amount of use. As Manton suggests, that's likely what yours is, too. If you like it I wouldn't worry too much what the crew around here thinks about it anyway.

4. boston

boston Senior member

I'm afraid it's probably a regular oxford, not a royal oxford. But you know, I had to look really really close to tell, so i've decided not to worry. In future though I'll be more careful. -boston