1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

French cuffs, oxford shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by boston, Jun 16, 2005.

1. boston

boston Senior Member

I find myself owning a spread collar, french cuff shirt (fairly slim fit) made out of fairly coarse white oxford.

The cloth is not bad, it's just sort of thick and textured. A button down, barrel cuff shirt in this fabric would be a classic, but I'm not sure what to make of it with a high spread and french cuffs. It looks fine, fits well, feels good, but I'm afraid it's a bit of a sartorial mutt.

What do you people think?

honestly, this is one of those things i would not think twice about if I spent less time on this board.

-boston

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Does the weave pattern sort of hava a diamond effect, or is it more rounded, like a birdseye? If the former, then it is royal oxford, a classic dressy winter shirt. (Most people find it too thick for spring/summer.) If it's regular oxford, I agree that it is incongruous with a spread collar and french cuffs.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I have a royal oxford french cuff shirt that is fine and gets a fair amount of use. As Manton suggests, that's likely what yours is, too. If you like it I wouldn't worry too much what the crew around here thinks about it anyway.

4. boston

boston Senior Member

I'm afraid it's probably a regular oxford, not a royal oxford. But you know, I had to look really really close to tell, so i've decided not to worry. In future though I'll be more careful. -boston