• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French cuffs okay for a job interview? (legal)

Mister Bateman

Reaction score
So I have law firm interviews coming up, and I'm agonizing a bit over what I'm going to wear.

I bought a new Z-line Zegna suit (navy blue with a light pinstripe) from Harry Rosen this week which I'm intending on wearing. I'm considering wearing a french cuff shirt, with some nice silver cufflinks. However, I've been told that the legal profession (where I live at least, in Vancouver, CA) is typified by very conservative dress. I feel like I may already be pushing it with the pinstripe over a solid colour, so I'm worried whether french cuffs might be over the edge?

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mister Bateman
So I have law firm interviews coming up, and I'm agonizing a bit over what I'm going to wear.

I bought a new Z-line Zegna suit (navy blue with a light pinstripe) from Harry Rosen this week which I'm intending on wearing. I'm considering wearing a french cuff shirt, with some nice silver cufflinks. However, I've been told that the legal profession (where I live at least, in Vancouver, CA) is typified by very conservative dress. I feel like I may already be pushing it with the pinstripe over a solid colour, so I'm worried whether french cuffs might be over the edge?

I've always been told it's a bit of a faux pax. If I were going to do it, I'd go with some silk knots instead of silver.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's fine.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ten years ago I would call it a risk, today they are very common.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It's fine.

Agreed. Just don't do what one guy we interviewed did. He had a huge cigarette burn in one cuff. It made me wonder what he normally wore to court. Of course, I never got the opportunity to find out.

Mister Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Agreed. Just don't do what one guy we interviewed did. He had a huge cigarette burn in one cuff. It made me wonder what he normally wore to court. Of course, I never got the opportunity to find out.

Haha. That's just gross. Ya my french cuff shirt has been worn all of once, and is immaculate and white. It will also be the first time the suit is worn. My only worry for the suit is that it will need further alterations when I pick it up on sunday.

I suppose I should also mention that I'm still a student and this is an interview for a 2nd year summering position. I've been told that you want to "look like a lawyer, rather than someone they have to turn into a lawyer." At the same time I don't want to appear as though I'm trying TOO HARD to look like a lawyer...

(damned neuroses... I'm just kinda freaking out because I have 2 interviews while friends of mine have upwards of 16...I have far less room for mistakes and bad impressions)

Captain Winky

Reaction score

You never know, he may end up opposing council one day...

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a light pinstripe is hardly any different from a solid suit. Nobody will bat an eyelash.

Re: cufflinks and french cuffs I see it commonly among lobbyists in DC and partners at big firms. It's not common among the legal not-for-profit sector in which I work, but neither are pocket squares and I wear one of them daily.

I think as long as you look professional you can add a small bit of personal style as long as you're not over the top and it will be something they may remember you for if you are one of a 30-50 interviewees.

Anticitizen

Reaction score

Heh. If that guy sports my brand of luck, it probably happened on the way to the interview. Lord knows, I'd end up with a coffee stain or tear in something ten minutes before the interview.

Anyway, better to overdress than underdress.

Reaction score
french cuffs are fine. i wouldn't do silk knots. understated silver is fine, gold or something else that is flashy or kitschy is not.

but in the end little of the above will matter.

stylomilo

Reaction score
Plain pin stripe suit is fine. Match it with a plain dark tie & simple , plain cufflinks with your French Cuffs. Nothing flashy unless you plan to be an ambulance chaser

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It's fine.

I would always default to button.

Guero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I would always default to button.

+1. While cufflinks are no great sartorial adventure these days, they'd make an interview candidate look somewhat "tone deaf," if you will. Nothing fatal, but not ideal. I'm a hiring partner at a large firm who sees a lot of candidates, FWIW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads