• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French cuffs, no tie?

aybojs

Reaction score
Re: the champagne bottle cufflinks, could you go into some detail as to what brand they are and how they are styled?

I was just curious because I have a pair I'm really fond of and wanted to see if we had the same kind.

alaaro

Reaction score
I bought the cufflinks off of ebay from someone in London. The brand is Mag Mouch.

stuarts8

Reaction score
I think it is perfectly acceptable to wear French cuffs and no tie. Go for it .Down here in New Zealand It is quite the fashion for the No tie French cuff look. French cuff shirts should not solely be restricted to being worn with suit and tie. They look Great worn with Jeans and casual pants. It does however annoy me to see the French cuffs being worn undone.
to me they should be either worn with cufflinks or silk Knots or as I do invariably when it is a hot day, unfasten the cufflinks or silk knots  , fold them into the cuff and fold the

cuffs back twice.
That way for myself, personally I can be comfortable while still wearing the cufflinks.
But the French Cuffs flapping loose  ,that is a NoNo.

Stuart
Auckland
New Zealand

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
So, four years on, how have opinions & tastes changed (or not)? Is it acceptable to wear FC with Jeans, Chinos & Slacks, without a tie or jacket?

I think I'd do it.

Bob01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Schnurretiger
So, four years on, how have opinions & tastes changed (or not)? Is it acceptable to wear FC with Jeans, Chinos & Slacks, without a tie or jacket? I think I'd do it.
Hmmm....I'm still pretty style-clueless, but was thinking, maybe something other than white? (maybe with faint stripes/pattern?), no pocket, and flat/higher hem - it might look good? Any Yays or Nays?
FC.jpg
Though it'd probably still look better with a sport coat... And yes...I know...the shoes are horrible - will visit an Allen Edmonds store for a fitting when I get back to the states... ;-)

Robwynge

Reaction score
Isn't this Tom Ford's singnature look? He always wears french cuffs and no tie. He also unbuttons the top two or three buttoms, which is definitely an optional part of the look :)

fusherino

Reaction score
this seems so backwards to me, i prefer barrel cuffs, and always like to add a tie when i can

Tailor In Style

Reaction score
French cuffs with jeans?
I say that is mighty fine. Its an interesting look giving the whole ensemble just a touch of being more formal.

A good option is to wear it with the knot links (cuff links made in balls of thread), these are usually not as formal as metal cuff links.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My opinion hasn't changed. Although I think it's fine if others wear fc without a tie or with jeans, I would not.

fashionsnob

Reaction score
Yes, this would looks great. Most fashion experts prefer that you wear a tie when wearing cufflinks. You can wear a French cuffed shirt without a tie if you also leave the cufflinks off. Just roll up the sleves a little below your elbow and leave the top button unbuttoned. This way you will still see the French cuffs. The following site has good advice on formal attire: http://www.blacktieguide.com/ This site is good for learning how to match your tie and the dress code for neckties: http://www.ties-necktie.com/ten-gold...g-clothing.php Another thing: Keep your shirts ironed! French cuffs are elegant and classy, and so should be the shirt... I hope this helps, R.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads