• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French cuffs, no tie?

alaaro

Reaction score
Question. For new years, I am planning on wearing some black slacks, with a french cuff shirt, with no tie. Unbuttoned at the top, still tucked in and all, just no jacket or tie. Can this work? Any thoughts?

whitsang

Reaction score
Definitely think it could work. What color shirt are you planning to wear?

alaaro

Reaction score
thinking of something definitely bright. maybe a solid red or yellow? perhaps stripes?

aybojs

Reaction score
I do it all the time, whether with jeans, cords, or slacks. The only thing that might make a difference is whether you choose to wear cufflinks or not and what kind you wear. I either wear mine undone or use some assorted "fun" links I have.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Simple answer - YES.

I do it all the time too.

Looks really good and have only ever had + feedback.

thc

Reaction score
i think it depends on the type of cuff links. As long as your cuff links are not too formal, the look definitely works.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
alaaro;
french cuffs are very elegant. if this is the look and feel you want to achieve then your outfit sounds fine to me.

i know french cuffs are in style right now (they're even selling them at banana republic) but i really don't like the french cuff/casual pants look. to me it's a really big clash of styles - like wearing a suit with sneakers. french cuffs are completely impractical; the extra fold of fabric, the links required to fasten them, and that's the whole appeal really - that's what makes them dressy. if you like elegance enough to wear these cuffs, why not wear elegant pants as well?

a question: how do you wear french cuffs without cufflinks? the fabric on mine (i have exactly one) hangs down way past my fingertips if not secured with links.

freakseam

Reaction score
it works, but i think i echo matadorpoeta's comments, too, in that i'd think solid white or white pinstripes on white with casual pants can seem a clash of styles. with other colors, i'd see less a clash...same with the 'formality' of the cufflinks... yes, how do you wear french cuffs without cufflinks? (don't say roll up the sleeves
smile.gif
and leaving the cuffs open, unless the arm length is less than typically the length one would wear, leaves the cuffs, as matadorpoeta points out, hanging down way past one's fingertips)

alaaro

Reaction score
I agree, no casual pants with french cuff shirt. Ill be wearing black slacks and dress shoes. As for the shirt, I am looking for something brighter, maybe some stripes, with some fun cufflinks, definitely bright. No white shirt and plain links, for sure.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"i think it depends on the type of cuff links. As long as your cuff links are not too formal, the look definitely works."

I would like to add the rejoinder...it all depends on the combination of the shirt and pants... then the links (or at least that's how I envision it).

Dark wash jeans--white shirt/FC, silk knots
Pinstripe Pants--white shirt/FC...textured is always nice, silver or stainless steel links with something bright (I favor a pair with a mix of white and orange amber)
Solid Dark Pants (charcoal or black)--stripes are good. Actually, I found that Winchester shirts come out really nice with this combo (contrasting cuffs).

norcal

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I reserve my French cuffed shirts for when I'm wearing a jacket. I don't like the look without a jacket: the cuffs become become a bit bulky, giving off a wrist-band look. Great if you're a tennis player or Olivia Newton-John, but not so great otherwise.

Plus, if you're going to roll them up, why wear French cuffs to begin with?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just realized how you wear french cuffs without cufflinks. i've seen this before. you wear a sportcoat or jacket and fold the cuff of the shirt over the sleeve of the jacket. i forgot about that one.

aybojs

Reaction score
When I'm wearing french cuffs casually (without a jacket, as college students rarely have opportunities to wear them), I just leave the cuffs undone. They are folded over (the unfolded and over the entire hand look just seems idiotic) so you can tell they're french cuffs, they just aren't fastened together with cuff-links/knots. The only thing though is you need a shirt that fits you closely to your arms and wrist, so the cuffs don't flap about and come unfolded. It also helps if the cuffs are stiff and if you have a gauntlet button on the sleeves to prevent things from being too loose.

Timothy

Reaction score
To wear the turn-ups without links all you have to do is iron the cuff along the fold so that it is more permanent. Though you can also do it with links. They made links in the 30's/40's that were beveled on both sides that snapped together so that if you unsnapped them the bevels will keep both sides of the cuffs together, but the center allowed to spread open. Speaking about vintage links one of my favorites are the nudie pin-up links from the 50's. They'll turn the most formal shirt into a party of fabric. Unless you have many fun links already you should check out local shops that sell vintage links to see what you can turn up for the night. You could also stop by a Neiman's or Saks for there are many jewelers doing fun links now. Just a month or so ago at Saks I saw theses sterling links that were twist off caps that said hang over on the top. I suppose they were to hold aspirins for the morning after
wink.gif

alaaro

Reaction score
FYI, I ended up getting a white dress shirt with thin black stripes. I got some champagne bottle cufflinks. Black slacks, shoes. It looked damn good if I may say so. I like the look of frenchcuffs with no tie or jacket. Gives you a little something more without getting too formal. Thanks for everyones opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads