1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

French cuffs, cuff links and sports jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stripes22, Mar 7, 2005.

1. stripes22

stripes22 Member

I think french cuff shirts should be reserved for suits.  But, I got a great new shirt (with french cuffs), wanted to wear it to-day, and chose a fitted tweed jacket with wool trousers.  

Did I carry out a fashion faux pas?

2. demeis

demeis Distinguished Member

agreed

3. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior Member

I wear French cuffs (FC) even without a jacket (am doing this right now) and I think quite a few people disagree with the no-French-cuffs-without-suit "rule".
    Just know that they are dressier. You may create a constrast (e.g. FC with jeans) instead of having all your clothes at the same level of formality (FC with suit).

Mathieu

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I guess I'm on the other side here. I think cufflinks are for suits only, I can't imagine them looking good with a sport coat.

5. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior Member

Only with a suit. Only exception is a DB blue blazer, the only coat formal enough to wear links without a suit

6. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Some people can look casual and comfortable while wearing cufflinks.  If you are one of them, then by all means go for it.  Soft cuffs, not-so-dressy pattern on shirt, discreet old cufflinks that aren't obviously expensive, and you're in business.  

Personally, I think that Americans get way too uptight about french cuffs. I sometimes wear them with sweaters.

7. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior Member

In Singapore nobody wears a suit (too hot and humid). If I needed to wear a suit to wear cuff links I'd never wear cuff links.

8. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

I certainly think it's fine considering I did it myself just two weeks ago.

I would only do it, however, with a patterned/coloured shirt. I think white french cuffed shirts are too formal to be worn with a sport coat. As someone else said, as long as it's a soft cuff, it's all good. Outside of that, I don't see any problems.

9. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

I agree.

& I voted tacky.

10. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior Member

I do it all the time; and sometimes without the sport coat. I stay away from links that are "dressy," though, and not usually with a plain white shirt, either.

11. dietcookie

dietcookie Senior Member

I do it all the time to. I rarely ever wear a white shirt though. When I do wear a FC shirt and i'm not wearing a suit, I try to use silk knots as I only own one pair of cuff links. I think the silk knots tone it down to a less formal look.

12. Walter

Walter Senior Member

The cufflinks you should wear with a sports jacket are unassuming silk knots.

13. johnw86

johnw86 Senior Member

I think they're best worn with a suit, but with the right sportscoat it can create a nice contrast.

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I concur.

15. topcatny

topcatny Distinguished Member

I wear french cuffs with sportcoats, I even wear them with jeans without a jacket. I know it is against the "rules" but honestly I don't care. I think it looks good, it fits in at my job and I like to wear some of my cufflinks every now and then.

That being said if I worked elsewhere I probably wouldn't wear 1/2 of the things I wear on a daily basis. This being one of those things.