• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

French cuff

Anton62718

Reaction score
Can I fasten the sleeve with a French cuff like a cuff with a regular button?

pomor

Reaction score
Can I fasten the sleeve with a French cuff like a cuff with a regular button?
Yes and no. If you're asking can you use something else other than a cufflink to cuff your sleeve, then the answer is: in a way you can. I had a Banana Republic shirt once that came with French cuffs. It had buttons pre-installed in the slots where you would normally use cufflinks. You could pull them out and leave them aside. It was essentially two buttons with thread between them, maybe half an inch, that you would put through the slots in the cuffs

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In two ways, sure: You could, with the cuff undone, use a cufflink to go through the last two holes of the cuff to fasten it in the same manner as a button-cuff, although this has the disadvantage of lengthening the sleeve somewhat. You could also fold over the cuff like normal and, instead of putting the cukklink through in order to show both sides, instead allow one end of the link to go through both folded cuff ends, in order to show one side (like a button) and hide the other.

I'm not sure why you'd want to, but I imagine the latter is a more natural and interesting way to go about it, although IME it requires a definite amount of patience and manual dexterity.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.