• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(French) cuff weight

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(It's applicable to button cuffs as well, I guess.) Reading about BjornH's and Keith T's problems getting silk knots through French cuff buttonholes I thought I'd ask a question. I've noticed that the various French cuff shirts I have have very varied levels of stiffness among the cuffs, some to the point where getting a toggle style link through and flipped is nearly impossible, especially if it's the kind with the angled toggle. The other extreme is the shirts with so little stiffness that the cuffs fold somewhat around the link, which I don't actually mind much but the shirts like that do look much more casual.

Have people been specifying the weight of the cuffs for Jantzen and other custom shirts, or am I the only one who's picky about this? Do different styles of shirts require different weights of cuff, does it depend on the weight of the fabric, or do you like them all to be the same? Discuss.

Phil

Reaction score
I specify that both the color and cuffs of all my shirts I have made at Turnbull have "stay flex" in them. Thats what the folk at T & A call it, but I think its just a layer of cloth. Whatever it is, it makes it look like both my collar and cuffs have been starched, but without the damage that starching can cause. I love it, especially on humid days, when the collar and cuffs dont wilt in the heat and humidity at all. it does have its drawbacks though, mainly that its simply not as comfortable as a shirt without them. Secondly, you are right, cufflinks are a bear to get through those extra thick cuffs, no doubt about it. A small tradeoff though, for me at least.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I guess it would be more a function of the weight of the fabric, as you suggest. Â I had not heard of "stay flex" before ( sounds more like control-top panty hose to me Â
biggrin.gif
) but if that makes it any easier to use cufflinks, I would be all for it. Personally, I haven't had much trouble with any of the shirts in my closet when using the toggle-style of link. Â A purist would insist on a true "link"--of which I have a few pair, silk and otherwise--and these are the kind that give me the occasional fit. Â I suppose a custom or MTM French cuff shirt would allow one the opportunity to experiment with different fabrics and linings to really get what one wants. Â Some others would probably chime in on that. Â A collar that wilts too much would be more of a pet peeve for me than shirt cuffs that did the same. Â But hey--cuffs and collar should match right? Â That was Sean Connery's remark to Jill St. John, anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads