• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French cuff terminology

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm writing instructions for putting on double-sided cuff links. I currently have "thread them through one side of the cuff", but I want to clarify that you should put them through one "sheet" of the cuff at a time. By sheet I mean that a French cuff has four sheets and each side having two sheets, as the cuff is folded in half.

Is there a better term than "sheet" here?

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I'm writing instructions for putting on double-sided cuff links. I currently have "thread them through one side of the cuff", but I want to clarify that you should put them through one "sheet" of the cuff at a time. By sheet I mean that a French cuff has four sheets and each side having two sheets, as the cuff is folded in half.

"layer"

"layer of cloth"

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buttonholes, perhaps? (i.e. push the links through through one buttonhole at a time...)

SuitMyself

Reaction score

A man has more serious issues to deal with if he can't figure out how to put on cufflinks without the aid of written (or visual) instructions.

Drudged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
A man has more serious issues to deal with if he can't figure out how to put on cufflinks without the aid of written (or visual) instructions.

lol8[1].gif

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

I find double sided cufflinks to be a pain **********. I am still a noob I guess

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
"layer" "layer of cloth"
Ah, bingo. I've PM'd you about a prize. Pretty simple; I guess I just had a mental blank.
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
I find double sided cufflinks to be a pain **********. I am still a noob I guess
Here are the complete instructions for how to put on double-sided cuff links for you and other noobs: You will find that double-sided cuff links are just as easy to put on as single-sided ones. The easiest way to do so is to thread them through one side of the cuff, one layer of cloth at a time, before putting on your shirt. Put on your shirt and then thread the links through to the other side. Do not thread the links through both sides before putting on your shirt as you may apply excessive stress to the link when you put your hand through the cuffs. Also do not attempt to take off your shirt without threading the cuff links through one side of the cuff first.
Originally Posted by Metlin
Buttonholes, perhaps? (i.e. push the links through through one buttonhole at a time...)
Good, but I think layer of cloth is more explicit about the single-layered-ness that I'm trying to get across here. Also, there's something weird about calling it a buttonhole when you're not putting a button through it. Perhaps a link hole?
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Said man then complains to me about the cuff links and his problem becomes my problem. In all seriousness, I don't think the technique is obvious to everyone. I figured it out my first time after a few tries so I could see someone not being so lucky.

SuitMyself

Reaction score

Said man then complains to me about the cuff links and his problem becomes my problem.

In all seriousness, I don't think the technique is obvious to everyone.

As I've said, a man has more serious issues to deal with if he can't figure out how to put on cufflinks without the aid of written (or visual) instructions.

(And that is why it's so important, ladies, not to drink alcohol during your pregnancy.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads