French cuff terminology

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm writing instructions for putting on double-sided cuff links. I currently have "thread them through one side of the cuff", but I want to clarify that you should put them through one "sheet" of the cuff at a time. By sheet I mean that a French cuff has four sheets and each side having two sheets, as the cuff is folded in half.

Is there a better term than "sheet" here?

2. asdf

asdf Senior member

I'm writing instructions for putting on double-sided cuff links. I currently have "thread them through one side of the cuff", but I want to clarify that you should put them through one "sheet" of the cuff at a time. By sheet I mean that a French cuff has four sheets and each side having two sheets, as the cuff is folded in half.

"layer"

"layer of cloth"

3. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

4. unjung

unjung Senior member

5. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Cuffia Majora and Cuffia Minora.

7. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Buttonholes, perhaps? (i.e. push the links through through one buttonhole at a time...)

8. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

Cuffia Majora and Cuffia Minora.

Win.

9. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

A man has more serious issues to deal with if he can't figure out how to put on cufflinks without the aid of written (or visual) instructions.

10. Drudged

Drudged Senior member

A man has more serious issues to deal with if he can't figure out how to put on cufflinks without the aid of written (or visual) instructions.

[​IMG]

11. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

[​IMG]

I find double sided cufflinks to be a pain in the ass. I am still a noob I guess

12. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

"layer" "layer of cloth"
    Ah, bingo. I've PM'd you about a prize. Pretty simple; I guess I just had a mental blank.
    I find double sided cufflinks to be a pain in the ass. I am still a noob I guess
    Here are the complete instructions for how to put on double-sided cuff links for you and other noobs: You will find that double-sided cuff links are just as easy to put on as single-sided ones. The easiest way to do so is to thread them through one side of the cuff, one layer of cloth at a time, before putting on your shirt. Put on your shirt and then thread the links through to the other side. Do not thread the links through both sides before putting on your shirt as you may apply excessive stress to the link when you put your hand through the cuffs. Also do not attempt to take off your shirt without threading the cuff links through one side of the cuff first.
    Buttonholes, perhaps? (i.e. push the links through through one buttonhole at a time...)
    Good, but I think layer of cloth is more explicit about the single-layered-ness that I'm trying to get across here. Also, there's something weird about calling it a buttonhole when you're not putting a button through it. Perhaps a link hole?
    Said man then complains to me about the cuff links and his problem becomes my problem. In all seriousness, I don't think the technique is obvious to everyone. I figured it out my first time after a few tries so I could see someone not being so lucky.

13. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Said man then complains to me about the cuff links and his problem becomes my problem.

In all seriousness, I don't think the technique is obvious to everyone.

As I've said, a man has more serious issues to deal with if he can't figure out how to put on cufflinks without the aid of written (or visual) instructions.

(And that is why it's so important, ladies, not to drink alcohol during your pregnancy.)