• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Cuff Style Button Down Collar?

Would you like a OCBD with French cuff buttons?

• Yes

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 93.3%

• Total voters

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I used bolt cutters and then cut the alarm."

I am sure that it is an erudite and meaningful metaphor,
but i don't get it. Please explain.
I finally got it. Early onset dementia for me?

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to grad school at the U of Chicago.
Recidivist, two-time offender here: The College and B School at U of C. When I got my second degree the University President looked down at my record and then said: “Good luck, Rocky. I don’t want to see you in here again!”.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to grad school at the U of Chicago.

Two years at the Committee On International Relations, and this was still in the "where fun goes to dies" days. I go down there now, and it's practically a miniature Lincoln Park. I guess they were losing too many potential undergrads to H-Y-P and Stanford because of the boring neighborhood and pumped billions into development partnerships.

No way was I ready to handle The College after high school, even if I could have gotten in:cool:.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't been to Hyde Park since '03. Hadn't changed much since I left in '88.
The College is now one of the most selective schools in the US. I was a married
grad student and later worked on North Michigan Ave.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't been to Hyde Park since '03. Hadn't changed much since I left in '88.
The College is now one of the most selective schools in the US. I was a married
grad student and later worked on North Michigan Ave.

It was in the late 00's that they really began the development binge. HP is pretty much unrecognizable from when I was there, and your choices were Medici, Ann Sather or Harold's for food or Jimmy's or The Cove for booze.

As for The College, higher median SAT score than Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford currently.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was in the late 00's that they really began the development binge. HP is pretty much unrecognizable from when I was there, and your choices were Medici, Ann Sather or Harold's for food or Jimmy's or The Cove for booze.

As for The College, higher median SAT score than Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford currently.
I still do informational interviewing for The College at Chicago with high school students here in Pasadena. When they ask me about the campus culture, I just say: “Think Caltech social skills and fashion sense with slightly lower math SAT’s” (Caltech is local).

I have an ex-classmate who always says The College is a place you really appreciate having gone to…starting about 25 years after you graduate. I think that sentiment often applies across the University.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Despite , SAT or ACT requirement having been dropped as of several years ago, before Covid.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The idea was a button down using cuff links rather than normal buttons. Which I believe most in the thread overlooked or misinterpreted. So instead of the links at the cuffs, the buttons at the collar would be links.
Wait, what? Collar links? Or am I woefully misreading this?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness, why on earth would you want that? Wouldn't be my choice, but even opting for a BD shirt w/French cuffs sounds a significantly less awful choice.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, who voted yes?

tenor.gif

apd90700

Reaction score
In all seriousness, why on earth would you want that? Wouldn't be my choice, but even opting for a BD shirt w/French cuffs sounds a significantly less awful choice.
Lot of different formal shirts swap their buttons for links.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Collar links.
This seems like one of those woeful attempts I’ve seen in Touch of Modern to squeeze out further jewelry options for men, like a metal ring that goes under the tie knot or some sort of bejeweled trapezoid monstrosity that completely encases the tie knot itself. I think someone on here was touting polished wooden pocket squares once and to this day I’m unsure whether that was serious or satirical!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was a thing among clotheshorses in Paris maybe 12-15 years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads