• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Cuff Style Button Down Collar?

Would you like a OCBD with French cuff buttons?

• Yes

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 93.3%

• Total voters

Polo Collar

Reaction score
I couldn't see why you think normal button down shirts are not suitable for tie, which is a pretty common combination, maybe it's because you associate button down with things Gap and Uniqlo sell. But men wear tie with button down shirt long before fast fashion is a thing.

1621079727383.png
1621079793759.png

apd90700

Reaction score
I couldn't see why you think normal button down shirts are not suitable for tie, which is a pretty common combination, maybe it's because you associate button down with things Gap and Uniqlo sell. But men wear tie with button down shirt long before fast fashion is a thing.

View attachment 1610157 View attachment 1610158
Class divide, class divide. Those of higher socio-economic standing likely wanted specialization of dress wear in order to differentiate themselves as style forward. Those using the OCBD were polo players, or those in athletic situations demanding a collar stay down via the buttons. During its nascent years, the OCBD with a tie would probably be like wearing a gym shirt in a more formal occasion. Those of means probably turned their noses up at this, and thus the stigma of wearing OCBD with a tie was born. As years progress from the provenance of these social constructs we likely have a lessening of histrionics regarding when a OCBD can, and should not be worn. In the most formal occasions it is probably best to follow the most strict formality, such as no OCBD with a tie. In modern America, in non-black/white tie situations, you will likely have no problems wearing an OCBD with a tie. Those who are against the look, and strongly so, may have had heavy influence from others in their style formative years. That said, style progresses from those starting points in history, if it didn't then we would still be held back by the old adage of, "no brown in town..."

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Class divide, class divide. Those of higher socio-economic standing likely wanted specialization of dress wear in order to differentiate themselves as style forward. Those using the OCBD were polo players, or those in athletic situations demanding a collar stay down via the buttons. During its nascent years, the OCBD with a tie would probably be like wearing a gym shirt in a more formal occasion. Those of means probably turned their noses up at this, and thus the stigma of wearing OCBD with a tie was born. As years progress from the provenance of these social constructs we likely have a lessening of histrionics regarding when a OCBD can, and should not be worn. In the most formal occasions it is probably best to follow the most strict formality, such as no OCBD with a tie. In modern America, in non-black/white tie situations, you will likely have no problems wearing an OCBD with a tie. Those who are against the look, and strongly so, may have had heavy influence from others in their style formative years. That said, style progresses from those starting points in history, if it didn't then we would still be held back by the old adage of, "no brown in town..."

Don't understand what you mean by this. But OCBD + tie is a very classic American combination.

security_mueller_RTX70U0A.jpeg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"During its nascent years, the OCBD with a tie would probably be like wearing a gym shirt in a more formal occasion. Those of means probably turned their noses up at this, and thus the stigma of wearing OCBD with a tie was born. "

"nascent years"? . By the 1920s younger members of the Ivy-educated WASP elite were wearing button-downs.
Here is Princeton drop-out F.Scott Fitzgerald in 1921
582fe8131700001c00e7b50a.jpg

Last edited:

apd90700

Reaction score
Agreed, and I guess I'll clarify by saying I am on the OCBD with tie side of things here. I was trying to explain to the person I was responding to that there is in certain circles a stigma to wearing OCBD with a tie, which probably originated from how the OCBD came into existence.

Also, just because certain people were innovative in style doesn't preclude those of higher socio-economic means from turning their noses up. Younger members of Ivy-educated WASP elite might be doing so just to thumb their noses at their overbearing parents, but I won't over-speculate there.
Don't understand what you mean by this. But OCBD + tie is a very classic American combination.

View attachment 1610287
"During its nascent years, the OCBD with a tie would probably be like wearing a gym shirt in a more formal occasion. Those of means probably turned their noses up at this, and thus the stigma of wearing OCBD with a tie was born. "

"nascent years"? . By the 1920s younger members of the Ivy-educated WASP elite were wearing button-downs.
Here is Princeton drop-out F.Scott Fitzgerald in 1921
View attachment 1610321

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I stopped wearing BDs at around 30. I'm Ivy -educated,
not WASP. A member of some elites, even at that age, but not
THE ELITE. My parents were somewhat overbearing, but not
about clothes. My Dad was very trad, but not Ivy-educated.
His shirts were all bespoke, but never a BD. Now that I think of it,
my slide from the BD paradigm probably began 10 years before
when I purchased several detached collar shirts at Harrods. The
shirts went well with a suit I later had made in Madrid. I gave the tailor
my BB sport coat to copy. He didn't exactly copy it. He "interpreted"
it. Based on these clothing choices I could have changed my name to
Joaquin or Luca. Stateside, the outfit proved to be a chick magnet.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I used bolt cutters and then cut the alarm."

I am sure that it is an erudite and meaningful metaphor,
but i don't get it. Please explain.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OCBD with a tie is perfectly fine. OCBD with french cuffs is an obomination worthy of Men's USA (look it up).

That's pretty much all I have to add to this discussion.

As for Harvard, I still have a t-shirt that says "Harvard: The University of Chicago of the East."

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I went to Drexel and UPenn. They're both just a few blocks from the El.

I don't mislike O.. C.. double Ds? I'm not sure what we're talking about, but having buttons or whatever on collars seems like too much extra fussing atop everything else that a man has to manipulate to satisfy himself.

Hmmm. That came out badly.

Polo Collar

Reaction score
Also, just because certain people were innovative in style doesn't preclude those of higher socio-economic means from turning their noses up. Younger members of Ivy-educated WASP elite might be doing so just to thumb their noses at their overbearing parents, but I won't over-speculate there.
What's the point of trying to argue in favor of this using lots of sociological jargons. Just wear it if you want, no one is going to kill you if you do that, except members of this forum.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
To the OP:

A BD with linked cuffs is quite quirky and never had a following.

My guess is that you won’t enjoy it much.

If you feel otherwise, NO ONE other that clothes geeks like us will notice the solecism; just that you are wearing “dapper” links.

apd90700

Reaction score
To the OP:

A BD with linked cuffs is quite quirky and never had a following.

My guess is that you won’t enjoy it much.

If you feel otherwise, NO ONE other that clothes geeks like us will notice the solecism; just that you are wearing “dapper” links.
The idea was a button down using cuff links rather than normal buttons. Which I believe most in the thread overlooked or misinterpreted. So instead of the links at the cuffs, the buttons at the collar would be links.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Drexel and UPenn. They're both just a few blocks from the El.

I don't mislike O.. C.. double Ds? I'm not sure what we're talking about, but having buttons or whatever on collars seems like too much extra fussing atop everything else that a man has to manipulate to satisfy himself.

Hmmm. That came out badly.
It's pretty much the opposite for me. I never iron or have to straighten out a collar, or worry about a collar laying neatly, or flying away, or collar stays.

I've never had to unbutton the "buttoned down" part of the collar either.

I admit I'm fussy about having my BDs hang a particular way in my closet though. I try to not crush the roll with other shirts squished in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads