• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Cuff Style Button Down Collar?

Would you like a OCBD with French cuff buttons?

• Yes

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 93.3%

• Total voters

apd90700

Reaction score
Does such a thing exist?! If not, totally copy writing :D.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even Google doesn't want to have such a formality clash in an image search!

apd90700

Reaction score
Even Google doesn't want to have such a formality clash in an image search!
With a large Italian BDC, thinking it could be rocked in France or Italy. Match the collar button to your belt and shoes?!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does such a thing exist?

Yes.

Cary_Grants_button-down_shirts_with_French_cuffs_at_Keikari_dot_com.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well done @comrade - I knew CG was seen wearing this kind of shirt but you provided photographic evidence. Not my style at all but some of the Mod-inspired providers make these shirts - I’ve seen them from time to time and of course they are always available MTO if that’s you’re thang

apd90700

Reaction score
I think of the look like an upscale business look. Since most geographic areas in Central US aren't very style forward, it wouldn't look like contrasting elements to them.

Think of it like a collar bar in that it pierces your collar, and allows you to add additional visual interest to the OCBD.

I personally think it looks worlds better than standard buttons on an OCBD if you're thinking about wearing it with a tie.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foo did something like this many years ago and the results were not good. I can't remember if he did French cuffs (he may have). But I remember there being a French placket and two buttons at the collar band.

The charm of the OCBD is how well it fits into a classic American look. Historically, classic American tailoring was more casual and sporty than its British and even Italian counterparts. When you start to fiddle around with the details like this, I think you bastardize the garment and, ultimately, your look.

bullethead

Reaction score
Tom Hanks wore this combo in Charlie Wilson’s War. I believe he even added shoulder epaulets

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Hanks wore this combo in Charlie Wilson’s War. I believe he even added shoulder epaulets
They were a direct copy of those worn by Rep Wilson IRL. It was his trademark - I suppose like that disgusting car crash of a man Jim Jordan doffing his jacket at every possible opportunity - custom made by Hamilton on Richmond Avenue in Houston.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads