• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 2: MTM Shirts courtesy of Drinkwaters

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 1st auction of the year is for a Goodies from No Man Walks Alone. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

French cuff stiffness

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Although I prefer medium stiffness collars I think I prefer softer French cuffs. All of my Jantzen shirts have medium stiff cuffs except for one that is inexplicably soft. I didn't specify it, but it is certainly much softer than all the others. It may lack an interlining.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the "right" thing is to have fused collars, and non-fused french cuffs. This has to do w/ the bubbling in an area like the cuffs when fused. My previous french cuffs were fused, and I did notice bubbling after awhile. My more recent orders were all non-fused interlining (soft). These cuffs don't have the bubbling problem, but seem to lack the smartness and clean look of a fused french cuff.

I am a bit confused as to what to order next.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I doubt your cuffs lacked an interlining. If they did, they would fall apart and fray pretty quickly. I would call that a mistake on the maker's part, not a design decision.

The stiffness of collar and cuffs comes much more from the inherent stiffness of the interlining itself, and less from whether it is fused or not. Fusing adds some stiffness, but a hard unfused interlining will be stiffer than a soft fused one. Shirtmakers that I have used tend to use the same interlining, or perhaps offer one or two choices so that the customer can specify "stiff" or "soft" as a general matter. If the same interlining is used in collar and cuff, and the former is fused and the latter is not, then the cuffs will feel bit softer.

Personally, I hate fused cuffs, but don't mind fused collars from certain makers. I would not say, however, that an unfused collar is "wrong." But it is much easier to press an unfused cuff than an unfused collar, which is why a lot of people prefer fusing in the collars.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see...ok, sounds like i have to check for "stiff" cuff interlining

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.5%
  • 11 - 20