• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French cuff shirts

stuarts8

Reaction score
Greetings from ice cold New Zealand.
Down here we have been seeing French cuff shirts with cufflinks being worn untucked the trousers usually being Jeans. I wonder if members of the forum do this or if this is fashionable in other parts of the world. To my way of thinking its quite a smart look and goes to show French cuff shirts and cufflinks are capable of being worn casually.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Stuarts8

Urbane

Reaction score
French cuffs are formal.  Jeans are not.  Pairing them is in my view wrong.  That the shirt is untucked does not help.  

I wear French cuffed shirts for work, and jeans when I get home from work.  If I cannot be bothered changing shirt, out of pure laziness, I will pair it with jeans. But, and here is the important qualification, I remove my cufflinks and roll my sleeves up.  It is the antithises of "dressing down" to leave the cufflinks in.

The look you mention is silly, and rather too studied.  Everyone here feel free to disagree with me.

alaaro

Reaction score
Every now and then when I go out, I'll wear nice jeans and a french cuff shirt. I think with the right jeans, it can be pulled off. Either way, with links or without, looks good, in my opinion. And I have gotten nothing but positive comments on it.

Phil

Reaction score
No doubt about it, french cuff shirts are fancy, and jeans are not. That doesnt mean you cant wear them together. I find that the most stylish men I know are masters are putting together completely disparate elements, yet somehow pulling it off. The world would be a boring place if everyone went around saying "cant do this, cant do that", because of the formality of certain elements of clothing. I love wearing a really well made cashmere v neck sweater (fancy), with a old frayed BB oxford underneath (not fancy), with a great old pair of levi 501s (not fancy), with a pair of english made suede chukka boots (fancy). Im not trying to say im some fashion plate or anything like that, but mixing and matching looks great to me. maybe im in the minority, i dont know. getting back to the topic at hand, I often wear the aforementioned levis with a T&A french cuff shirt, and a suit jacket taken from one of me suits. I wouldnt wear a pair of tiffany sterling knots for the links with this outfit, but a pair of silk knots, or something like it, work just fine.

Classic

Reaction score
I wear dress shirts (untucked) with french cuffs and links with jeans quite often. Friends have even stated that it is my signature "casual outfit". The combination of contrasts, the elegance and sophisication of the shirt and links, with the casualness of the jeans is what makes the look.
To add to this, if the occasssion permits, I will also wear a suit jacket over the shirt.
As I have stated before, it is a look that I enjoy, and from the compliments that are recieved especially from the women, one that is appreciated by others as well.

Classic

gaz.thomas

Reaction score
blush.gif
I'm guilty. I'm currently wearing (at the office of the little software co.I work for) a black double cuffed shirt (untucked) with black silk-knots, no tie, blue bootcut jeans, a black single-breasted, centre vent jacket with black ankle boots and belt. I think it's smarter than the usual software uniform of jeans and a t-shirt and I'm too young to really pull off khakis and a blazer (at least I think I am anyway...) I do like to wear a suit to work, but whenever I do, everyone assumes I'm going to a job interview - and that's not *always* a good thought to plant... Gaz -x-

Kevin

Reaction score
I'll confess to this look as well.  I ocassionally wear one of my striped Jantzen french cuff shirts untucked with links and all.  I don't pair it with jeans, but rather a pair of dark khaki pants.  I too like the contrast between the elegance of the links and cuffs with the casual look.  I say if it works for you, then wear it.  Confidence is the best accessory with any look.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I don't like barrel-cuff shirts, thus almost all of my shirts are French-cuff (double -cuff) and have spread collars (cutaway, English, shark, etc...). Thus, I always use my "˜dress' shirts as sport shirts by using silk knots instead of cufflinks and leaving the shirt open enough with 2-buttons undone. Of course, this is with the shirts tucked into trousers, since I can't pull off the jeans / shirt look to well; plus most of my shirts have really long tails and they are much too long to leave untucked.

Jon.

stuarts8

Reaction score
French cuffs are formal. Jeans are not. Pairing them is in my view wrong. That the shirt is untucked does not help.

I wear French cuffed shirts for work, and jeans when I get home from work. If I cannot be bothered changing shirt, out of pure laziness, I will pair it with jeans. But, and here is the important qualification, I remove my cufflinks and roll my sleeves up. It is the antithises of "dressing down" to leave the cufflinks in.

The look you mention is silly, and rather too studied. Everyone here feel free to disagree with me.
Sorry Urbane, I cannot agree that the cufflinks, French cuff shirt,Jeans, look is silly. Otherwise why would people wear them. I do not think it is the antitheses of dressing down to leave the cufflinks in.
It is quite a smooth look and the ladies like it too as others have mentioned.
If you must roll the sleeves up, then do as I do and leave the Cufflinks IN. you may need them later when it is cooler.
I urge you to reconsider your stance and at least try it.
As others have mentioned they do it and it is successful.
Cheers
Stuarts8

arenn1

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but this whole untucked shirt thing just seems wrong.

peter_l

Reaction score
I think it's a good look. I wear french cuff shirts with jeans and other casual pants all the time, even to my summer job(I'm 17 and work at a small accounting firm). I've seen an increasing number of people in NYC wearing this kind of outfit, mostly guys my age or a few years older. I'm not a fan of barrel cuffs and tshirts, so I wanted something other than polo shirts to wear during the day. The shirts that I wear are pretty casual besides the french cuffs though. Form fit, brightly colored striped shirts from Jantzen. I'm a long-time lurker to this forum..
tounge.gif
I wear them with silk knots or some other colorful links. While one or two guys have said that I look like I try too hard when I wear cufflinks, I have gotten a countless number of positive comments.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but this whole untucked shirt thing just seems wrong.
I must say I tend to agree with you, and find the untucked look to be both sloppy and faddish. While some people are able to pull it off, I am not one of them, tucking in even t-shirts some of the time. Polos are about the only thing that feel consistently right to me untucked.

That being said, I actually get a kick out of the idea of untucked french cuff shirts w/ links. I like the juxtaposition of something as formal as a shirt w/ french cuffs & links untucked over a pair of jeans or some such. Again, not nec. for me, but it seems like a cool idea for the confident/hip dresser.

I think the untucked thing will go the way of all fads within the next couple of years (only to resurface at some point down the road).

stuarts8

Reaction score
Well, I don't like barrel-cuff shirts, thus almost all of my shirts are French-cuff (double -cuff) and have spread collars (cutaway, English, shark, etc...). Thus, I always use my "˜dress' shirts as sport shirts by using silk knots instead of cufflinks and leaving the shirt open enough with 2-buttons undone. Of course, this is with the shirts tucked into trousers, since I can't pull off the jeans / shirt look to well; plus most of my shirts have really long tails and they are much too long to leave untucked.

Jon.
Hi Jon. You could use cufflinks as well as silk knots with this look you know. Looks just as good.
Stuarts8

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I don?t like barrel-cuff shirts, thus almost all of my shirts are French-cuff (double -cuff) and have spread collars (cutaway, English, shark, etc?). ....
have you tried 'flow-back' cuffs? i'm thinking of trying some from jantzen.
DSCF0040jamesbonecuff.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads