1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

French cuff shirts with spread collar worn casually

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Galen129, Jul 1, 2012.

1. stuarts8

stuarts8 Well-Known Member

You should wear them and wear cufflinks too. I do this frequently and have no problem with not wearing a Jacket and Tie.
    Stuarts8

2. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

In your eyes, but not those of most as the thread confirms.

3. BoboMax

BoboMax Well-Known Member

it's fine, go for it. just don't wear them with jeans or khakis.

4. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Well-Known Member

As mentioned earlier, just roll up your sleeves

5. FillW

FillW Well-Known Member

I bought a dress shirt with French Cuffs this weekend. I've never worn this type of shirt before. It has a double cuff that folds back over itself with two holes. Do you just stick the cufflink through like it was a regular button?

6. radicaldog

radicaldog Well-Known Member

It's true that many, many people do it in the UK, so one can get away with it here. No idea about Finland.

7. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I suppose you could, but generally you put the ends together and put the cufflink straight through, like this: http://www.raresplendors.com/link-cuff-links.htm

8. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

+1 on Blackhood, GBR and ianiceman.

I could not agree more that there is a strand in American thinking that to wear double cuffs you must not only be wearing a conservative suit, but also one or more of: (a) foreign; (b) very rich; (c) gay; (d) a playboy; (e) a New Yorker.

9. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

+1 to your +1 and also to your comment.

Were I a 20-something year old and wanted to wear a French/Double cuffed shirt casually, I would entertain these options:

• Slim (not tight) denim pants, an odd waistcoat, skinny tie, a nice pair of well maintained and polished black shoes, summer Panama hat and possibly Ray-Ban Wayfarers.
    • Sport or seersucker jacket, slim tie, Straight-legged cream linen pants, slightly darker than cream socks, Spectator shoes, Panama hat.
    • Slim linen pants, suspenders (braces), skinny tie (2.74"-3"), shoes of any colour other than black or dark brown, Panama or lightweight fedora.
    • Shorts, odd contrasting fun waistcoat (not from a suit), sunglasses, loafers, no tie, shirt cuffs & sleeves rolled up, straw hat optional, chunky sport watch.

In imagining these suggestions, bear in mind that my strategy would be to tone down if not control the formality of the cuffs and collar at hand. It would be a little tricky or perhaps even bordering on costume but I believe it can be done and could be fun.

P.S.
    Welcome to Styleforum and warm greetings to you and the wonderful people of Finland.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  10. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

OP, I suggest that (if you haven't already) you read this: http://www.styleforum.net/t/287922/practical-thoughts-on-coherent-combinations-for-beginners

The problem is that French cuffs and a spread collar are at the formal end of the spectrum. Casual clothes like jeans are on the other end of the spectrum. And that's why it will ALWAYS look odd combining the two, no matter what idiots people will try to tell you. Get some barrel cuff button downs for casual wear, save the French cuffs for formal. Please.

11. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Me too.

Same here

To a point, but it's also a matter of how comfortable you are with breaking a 'rule' and pairing odd things together

"Freedom cuffs", s'il vous plait.

I wear them regularly, rolled-up or not, with jackets (silk knots) or not. That said, re: breaking rules, I'll wear them with slacks or jeans but not khakis - when you break a rule, you don't want to go half-way. FC + slacks looks like you left the jacket off, FC + jeans is deliberately breaking the rules, but FC + khaki treads the uncomfortable middle ground of either (1) didn't get the memo or (2) the neutered type of rebellion that hopes the parents don't get upset.

12. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

Once again, I respectfully disagree, but I think it may have more to do with what I wear denim for as compared to others on the MC forum. I'm a jeans/dress shirt/sports coat guy in any business casual/nice restaurant/anything else not requiring a suit setting and have no problem wearing a double cuff shirt with that type of outfit. Granted, I'm not wearing faded Levi's and sneakers at the time, but they're still jeans and they still look just fine together.

13. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

^^ Alright, nice post. I'm not saying it can't be made to look good, and what you're describing sounds fine. Without knowing how well or badly OP dresses though, I would be very hesitant to tell him to go for it.

Here is a relevant recent quote from Vox:

"I think that the rate of rules-adherence on StyFo is so low that it is an unlikely culprit in the high frequency of dull, weird, or disoriented looks and opinions here."

I heartily agree. The WIWT threads do not give one confidence that people should be breaking 'the rules', and that's why I would recommend that OP follow them, and save his formal shirts for more formal outfits and occasions.

14. emc894

emc894 Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be rude but I strongly disagree with these suggestions. The second one is reasonably normal, if anachronistic, but random waistcoats in summer and exposed braces with skinny ties are best left to Pete Doherty. I think the average person on the street would do a confused double take if they passed someone wearing these combinations.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    2 people like this.
  15. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

Yea, I could get behind 1 and 2 (w/o the hat) but 3 and 4 are nonstarters for me.

16. jones12

jones12 Well-Known Member

French cuffs shirt with spread collars is meant to be worn by itself and that what makes it stylish.

17. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Welcome to StyleForvm.

18. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

what about trousers? :confused:

19. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

+1

20. Spurious

Spurious Well-Known Member

Why cant you wear FCs with khakis (I assume this is meant to be chinos?)?

I wear suits 5 times per week and dress in shirts + chinos on the weekends (often times wearing the shirt underneath a sweater) and wanted to start replacing all my regular cuff shirts with french cuff shirts. This no FC with chinos has me worrying now.