French cuff shirts in a government job.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clownmitts, May 20, 2006.

1. clownmitts

clownmitts Active Member

I work for a relatively stodgy sector of the Canadian government and I have a bunch of french cuff shirts which I'd rather keep wearing, but in an inconspicuous manner. My question is, will I get laughed at by the cool kids in the playground for wearing my FC shirts with the cuff, "cuffed" like a regular cuffed shirt? Are there any other suggested ways to wear french cuffed shirts inconspicuously? thanks!

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Low-key cufflinks, like silk knots, would lessen the impact somewhat, I think.

3. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

If it's not going to get you in trouble, why not just develop the reputation as the "best dressed employee" in your section.

If you really don't want to be noticed, just wear your french cuff shirts, but roll the sleeves up midway through the day.

I do think it would look weird to roll the cuff under, like a regular shirt, but still have to use a cufflink to fasten them. Then you don't avoid attention, you just look like a guy who doesn't know the proper way of wearing a french cuff shirt. I would think that being noticed for that reason would be worse than being noticed for wearing french cuff shirts in the first place, i.e. if you can't do that right, what else don't you do properly.

4. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Senior member

I work for a relatively stodgy sector of the Canadian government ...

There are sectors that aren't stodgy?

[​IMG]

5. LegB4Wicket

LegB4Wicket Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree with Bradford on this.

Please develop the reputation as the "best dressed employee" in your sector. I work in Victoria for the provincial government and I have no qualms about wearing French or double cuffed shirts and I'm often pictured on the television standing next to a cabinet minister.

A couple of the Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs) have asked me where I acquire my shirts (mostly T.M. Lewin and from eBay).

Do not be afraid to dress-up. Who knows, your colleagues might take the hint and sharpen-up their wardrobes.

Besides, I've noticed a marked improvement in the attire of the new Conservative government compared to the crooks that were voted-out a few months ago!

6. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I work for the Canada Revenue Agency and a few of us rock the FC. Go for it and enjoy. If anything, you will be a counterbalance to the legions of golf shirt/chino wearing employees.
    A gutting of the firearms registry, tax cuts, a commitment to Afghanistan and a better dressed government. God is good.

7. kdsvs

kdsvs Active Member

French cuffs are becoming pretty much just like regular barrel cuff dress shirts. I think they're 100% appropriate with a blazer/suit jacket, but worn by itself, definitely have a more flashy/dandyish look.

8. lameduck

lameduck Active Member

clownmitts, do you really think french cuffs are flashy? You've obviously worn them with ease before. Don't let anyone make you feel awkward wearing them.

Regards

9. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Hi,

Before you do anything, probably the number one question to ask is, How does the boss dress? Showing up the boss is not a good idea.

10. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I work for a relatively stodgy sector of the Canadian government and I have a bunch of french cuff shirts which I'd rather keep wearing, but in an inconspicuous manner. My question is, will I get laughed at by the cool kids in the playground for wearing my FC shirts with the cuff, "cuffed" like a regular cuffed shirt? Are there any other suggested ways to wear french cuffed shirts inconspicuously? thanks!

If I understand correctly, what you mean by "cuffed like a regular cuffed shirt," is that the two sides of the cuff are made to overlap one over the other like a regular cuff, rather than being 'pinched'? I like that variation -- I've used it myself in the past and had forgotten all about that. As I recall, when I did it, I ended up fastening the cuff with mother of pearl formal studs instead of cufflinks. I think that's pretty subtle.

11. clownmitts

clownmitts Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys!

Margaret, I think that's the look I'm looking for. Where can I get these studs? Can you show me a picture of your cuffs?

Mensimageconsultant, my boss is a really good guy and does the old englishman (as that's what he is) look with the lambchops and tweed. No links though. I don't wear a tie regularly except for the management meetings.

Gorgekko and Legb4wicket, more power to you guys! We need to unite and fight this plague of golf shirts, especially the ones stitched with vendor stitched logos. I live in vancouver and I will pay more attention to bc parliament news!

Kdsvs, I think that's a good idea about wearing them with a blazer/jacket, will keep it unders consideration.

fatherseanfan, touche!

12. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Margaret, I think that's the look I'm looking for. Where can I get these studs? Can you show me a picture of your cuffs?

Mensimageconsultant, my boss is a really good guy and does the old englishman (as that's what he is) look with the lambchops and tweed. No links though. I don't wear a tie regularly except for the management meetings.

Gorgekko and Legb4wicket, more power to you guys! We need to unite and fight this plague of golf shirts, especially the ones stitched with vendor stitched logos. I live in vancouver and I will pay more attention to bc parliament news!

Kdsvs, I think that's a good idea about wearing them with a blazer/jacket, will keep it unders consideration.

fatherseanfan, touche!

My studs look more or less look like the set on the left here, but I actually like this style much better, without the gold trim.

13. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Hi,

Before you do anything, probably the number one question to ask is, How does the boss dress? Showing up the boss is not a good idea.

So if he came everday in threadbare clothing shoes untied fly undone so would you?

14. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

fatherseanfan, touche!

You're wearing French cuffs but usually NOT wearing a tie?

I know some people rock that look in nightclubs, but my office rule would be if you're wearing French cuffs you're always wearing a tie.

Oh, and don't worry about showing up the boss. I've yet to see a top-level exec who thought some young person was too dressed-up.

15. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

Have to agree with Mr Checks here -- while the french cuff/no tie look can work casually, i would not sport that at the office. Put on a tie man!

And I have never, in 15 years of working in both the government and the private sector, had a boss or cared that I was better dressed than he was. And I have always been better dressed than my bosses!