• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Cuff Problem

e2b1m

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a new dress shirt with french cuffs. The shirt fit perfectly around the neck, the sleeve length was great and for once it wasn't too blousey in the back. Unfortunately, I stupidly neglected to try to shirt on with a suit jacket and so when I went to actually wear the shirt discovered that the cuffs were too big for my suit jacket sleeves.

Is there anything a tailor can do to fix the cuffs?

starro

Reaction score
Highly doubt it. The best an alteration tailor can do is replace the cuffs with smaller ones.

Have you tried the cuffs with the tightest links you can find, and are they still too big for the suit sleeves?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all the events you may go to, one demanding evening dress is the one where you must be properly dressed if you do not want to be seen as the maître d' or worse a waiter.

Starro is correct to suggest that but it is likely to be a lost cause so either get used to the idea you need another shirt or else look slovenly.

e2b1m

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I was curious then, are there any specific brands you recommend that have smaller cuffs or should I go the custom shirt route?

For reference this was a Charles Tyrwhitt extra slim shirt. I am height/weight proportional so its not like the size I ordered was crazy big and so I was shocked that the cuff would be an issue.

starro

Reaction score
Leaving bespoke aside for a minute (where, hopefully, you would have the opportunity to customize things like cuff size exactly), the RTW options will usually have french cuffs that are a few sizes larger. Although probably not grotesquely so (and I am making zero assumptions about your wrist size).

So let's review the jacket sleeves. First of all what do you mean exactly by "too big for suit sleeves"? Can you still get the whole cuff through, but the jacket sleeve end is sort of following the contours of the French cuff? 'cause this might be a problem that you live with, unless you get everything tailor made. Or could the problem be that your suit is too slim-fit, AKA trendy and IMO stupid looking.

e2b1m

Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses. When I say that the shirt cuffs are too big for my suit I mean that they are very tight and pushing against the jacket in a way that looks very unnatural.

My suits are definitely cut slimmer but I wouldn't characterize them as being slim-fit to the point of being trendy. Rather I am short, skinny guy who needs slimmer fitting sleeves so I don't look like I am drowning in my clothes.

Unless I am mistaken, it sounds like I need to go with some bespoke or MTM provider and send this shirt to Goodwill? Appreciate all the help.

starro

Reaction score
Before getting rid of 'em for good, why not show some pictures of the actual problem you are having? Maybe there are fixes

Last edited:

theplayerking

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I was curious then, are there any specific brands you recommend that have smaller cuffs or should I go the custom shirt route?

For reference this was a Charles Tyrwhitt extra slim shirt. I am height/weight proportional so its not like the size I ordered was crazy big and so I was shocked that the cuff would be an issue.

I, too, have had problems with CT french cuffs. They're just too bulky for my suits. Try another brand.

e2b1m

Reaction score
theplayerking, any RTW brands that you have had any luck with?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads