• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freezing funeral, what would you wear?

JonasAberg

Reaction score
I recently attended a funeral. It was -25 degrees Celsius (that's -13 Fahrenheit), windy and snowing. The ceremony in the church was fine but standing outside during the actual burial was not very pleasant. Afterward I could hardly feel my fingers/toes.

I found myself thinking that I definitely need a flannel suit as one of those would be warmer but I can't help but wonder; would it really be all that much warmer? Could it withstand the onslaught of Finnish winter? Seems to me suits were not designed to be worn in -25 degree weather (let's not even mention dress shoes). On the other hand, one *should* feel miserable at funerals so I guess it is suitable in a sense.

What would you wear in these weather conditions on such an occasion?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heavy flannel (or dark tweed?) Suit.
Black Cashmere or Mohair overcoat
Black scarf
Black leather gloves
Balmoral Boots with commando sole.

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-25C is cold. Can't ignore that.

Layer under your overcoat. Jacket,sweater,shirt,undershirt. Layer under your pants. Then boots. You'll likely want cold weather socks. Not normal dress socks but the stuff aimed at outdoor wear. Can't get around warm boots or for that matter good warm gloves. Obviously a hat.

Minimize bare skin. Stay out of the wind if you can.

But if you're in Finland you must know this.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black or charcoal overcoat
Flannel suit
Black Scarf
Black Gloves
Black Boots
A black or gray traditonal fedora

JonasAberg

Reaction score
Layering obviously helps. The problem is that you will be both inside AND outside so it's a balancing act between layering thin and being too cold and layering too much and sweating once you get inside, as buildings are well insulated and heated.

I should definitely get a suit in heavier fabric though.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good layering can be undone. I don't know how hot a Finnish church is going to be but they'll expect people to be dressed for winter. You start by unbuttoning your coat and jacket. Take off your hat,scarf and gloves. If it's really hot take your coat off. You won't die of heat stroke.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Good layering can be undone. I don't know how hot a Finnish church is going to be but they'll expect people to be dressed for winter. You start by unbuttoning your coat and jacket. Take off your hat,scarf and gloves. If it's really hot take your coat off. You won't die of heat stroke.
I attended a funeral a couple of weeks ago in the midst of a snow storm. Temps in the low 20sF, about 6" of snow, and strong blustery winds. I wore:
- Charcoal suit
- White shirt
- Black tie with white dots
- Black cashmere overcoat
- Black gloves
- Black Alden wingtip high boots with commando sole

Still froze outside, but the boots were ideally suited for the conditions.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Every man should own a good set of longjohns for exactly this kind of thing.
+2. I needed them.

PrimusPilus

Reaction score
My Dad's funeral was last week, it was about 25 F, very windy, and about 4" of snow. I wore a grey flannel suit, white shirt, black tie, dark grey cashmere shawl collar sweater, black wool topcoat and boots.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PrimusPilus
My Dad's funeral was last week, it was about 25 F, very windy, and about 4" of snow. I wore a grey flannel suit, white shirt, black tie, dark grey cashmere shawl collar sweater, black wool topcoat and boots.
Condolences.

thrice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PrimusPilus

Condolences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads