• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freemans Sporting Club suits and other clothes

akaidiot

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Freemans Sporting Club suits (or other clothes) they wish to share? I imagine the store is a little too gimmicky for most on here, but I wandered in there and saw some real beautiful three piece suits and figured maybe someone on here had some experience.

Or can you tell me anything about Martin Greenfield, the Brooklyn tailor that makes their suits?

They had some really nice looking ties. I thought they guy said they were $43, but I felt like I must have heard him wrong. Nothing in there scream 'affordable' to me, but I will snatch up four or these if they're really $43.

(just so i don't get jumped on, i search around and couldn't find another thread of this except in streetwear, which isn't the place to get answers about suits.)

Pylon

Reaction score
Sorry for the long bump; I was just in Freeman's Sporting Club earlier this month and was admiring their suits. Extremely well crafted. They're using deadstock wools and fabrics... bolts that have been in storage since the 50's and 60's, which explains why their fabrics look so amazing. The suits are fully-canvassed, floating with silk hand-stitching throughout, working cuff buttons. They've got a modern cut to them... notice the narrower lapels and trim fit in the body. Most of them also have a vest. The salesman really seemed to know what he walk talking about (unlike most of the places I walk into). The suits are, in one word, beautiful. A bit pricey at around $2,000 but they have deals from time to time (15% off for "friends and family", etc.) if you add yourself to their mailing list. Their peacoats are also beautiful; trim fit; beautiful buttons; working cuff-buttons, also hand-stitched, etc. Next time I'm in Manhattan, I'll kick myself if I don't buy one.
inlove.gif
Anybody on SF own a Freeman's suit?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I'd like to drop by some time, just out of curiosity's sake. I hope they stay small and personal. Years ago, in early 2004, I set up an appointment to see Thom Browne himself at Bergdorf to talk about a possible order. I called Bergdorf, asked for Thom Browne, and they put him on the phone right away. I can't imagine that's possible now.

mrbowtie

Reaction score
The staff at Freeman's is great. I actually go there for my haircuts and almost picked up a suit. As was previously posted, the suits are made by Martin Greenfield tailors and use vintage deadstock wool. The staff is indeed knowledgeable and many times Mr Buffa (the owner) is in the store (he almost sold me a suit). Love their sense of style.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akaidiot
Does anyone have any experience with Freemans Sporting Club suits (or other clothes) they wish to share? (just so i don't get jumped on, i search around and couldn't find another thread of this except in streetwear, which isn't the place to get answers about suits.)
A few months ago someone (BigA?) posted pics of his FSC suit in "what are you wearing right now." He spoke well of the experience and the suit. Look there. lefty P.S. Found it: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=25673

Moss

Reaction score
I love the place. Yes, it's a bit gimmicky, but the staff is exceptionally nice and it's a great source for shaving implements.

I was very tempted by a gray flannel number I tried on in the store last year. It was made from dead stock cloth and had a magnificent handle.

Pylon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by akaidiot
I never ended up buying one of these because they never really go on any significant sale, but I do still admire them whenever I go get my hair cut.
God you must have more willpower than I do! I couldn't go in there for a haircut on a regular basis and not own one of their suits. I made one visit (and had a wonderful dinner at their restaurant around the corner at the end of Freemans Alley) and after trying to suit on it took every ounce of my willpower to keep my Amex in my pocket. If I hadn't already bought a ton of crap all over midtown, I probably would have bit. I settled for buying some of their deadstock ties, which I'm very, very happy with. I definitely plan on going back for a suit, maybe two if I save. I still think they're worth it. You won't find those fabrics anywhere (except maybe your grandfather's suits, heh).

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shackets are absolutely amazing and there's talk of offering them mtm for only a 15% price premium.

Freeman's, Union, Moss, Steven Alan and Supreme remain the only shops in Manhattan I recommend to friends as obligatory visits.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FSC is amazing stuff. I own a few shirts and jackets and the quality and craftsmanship is outstanding. Definately worth the price. One thing I wish they would improve is their online shopping. Using the Refinery29 shopping website as the only online access to their goods isn't the best. They only showcase a mere fraction of what is offered to be sold online, and this doesn't include any shoes/suits.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
The shackets are absolutely amazing and there's talk of offering them mtm for only a 15% price premium.

Freeman's, Union, Moss, Steven Alan and Supreme remain the only shops in Manhattan I recommend to friends as obligatory visits.

A shacket is a shirt-jacket?

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
A shacket is a shirt-jacket?
Yep. A corny name, but a great garment. The fabrics were subpar this season in my opinion, but what they have slated for next year is fantastic. I don't think there's anything in the States that stacks up (including Engineered Garments), but I imagine Ships, Beams+ and the like provide similar options in Japan.
photo_shacket.jpg
Also, the peacoats are fantastic. Made by Greenfield.
photo_longcoat.jpg

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The coat is indeed awesome and the first thing that caught my eye on that website. I think that style has a tendency to look slightly askew. In fact, it seems like the left row (from model's perspective) is slightly higher than the right row.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^^ I'd like to drop by some time, just out of curiosity's sake. I hope they stay small and personal. Years ago, in early 2004, I set up an appointment to see Thom Browne himself at Bergdorf to talk about a possible order. I called Bergdorf, asked for Thom Browne, and they put him on the phone right away. I can't imagine that's possible now.

He never worked out of Bergdorf Goodman so he was probably there for a trunk show at the time or some random occasion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads