• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freegans: Dumpster Divers With a Cause

2sweet

Reaction score
I saw an Oprah special on dumpster diving "freegans" a couple nights ago. It was pretty interesting. Apparently, grocery stores just dump stuff that is completely edible and fresh immediately after, and sometimes before, the sell by date. Apparently, half of the food produced in the US just goes into the trash.

Now you've got freegans who are trying to consume this so-called waste. It makes you wonder about how much we over-consume. Personally, I'm alarmed by the amount of clothes some of us purchase here on SF.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its part of my bling bling lifestyle to only wear a pair of Jeans once then throw them away.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2sweet
Personally, I'm alarmed by the amount of clothes some of us purchase here on SF.
Personally, I don't buy clothing with expiration dates. I also don't let hippies play around in my trash.
teacha.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrong forum for the discussion, but they're interesting people. I haven't done it myself, but I've known a few people who've done it intermittently, mostly in activist and homeless shelter situations.

Freegans who go far beyond food, I have much more significant issues with.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read an article online awhile back about a boy and his grandfather or someone going through the wealthier neighborhood's trashcans on the nights before garbage day. He'd then flip the stuff he found "worthy" of taking home. Can't remember what exactly he said he made on average per week, but the number made me think about doing it myself! Some people are so wasteful. I worked at Panera Bread about 10 years ago and I couldn't believe how wasteful they are! Fresh bagels, rolls, bread, desserts, etc would all go into garbage bags, then to the dumpster of they didn't sell that day. I was appalled and spoke with the manager about donating it to homeless shelters and such. She told me that the higher-ups already said no to the idea and she may lose her job if we carried through with it. ******* greedy-ass bastards. I also heard through the grapevine that Wallgreens trashes perfectly good merchandise (crayons, tissues, pencils, cologne....the list goes on and on). I even heard they lock their dumpsters and even built a cinderblock wall around it to keep people from scavenging. Damn, let the people have their stuff and save the space in the landfills! I probably sound like a hippie here, probably because I used to be one, but it's ridiculous how much big corperations and people in general waste! /End rant/

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Writing off unsold goods and merchandise at a loss (instead of donating) is probably far more helpful to the bottom line come tax time. In some cases, I believe there are also liability issues that they would have to worry about.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BYucko
Wah, a working iPod? A television? A painting?

Some people are crazy.

This paragraph also amuses me:
Ms. Brewster and her mother, who had come from New Jersey, loaded two area rugs into their cart. Her mother, who declined to give her name, seemed to be on a search for laundry detergent, and was overjoyed to discover a couple of half-empty bottles of Trader Joe's organic brand.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Check it out, an Ali Baba sword!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads