• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Free shipping or discount

batorizer

Reaction score
+3 usps. usps can leave the item in my apartments' drop boxes. whereas, ups comes around noon, so i have to take half a day off work and fedex will just leave the package in front of my apartment. last thurs. i came home to find my new video card just sitting by my door

anyways, i would be more tempted by a discount.

delirium

Reaction score
discount

Although, I hear what LAGuy is saying about free shipping for orders over a certain amount.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy 99.99% of my clothes online, and I muchhhhh prefer a discount over free shipping. If I'm spending $200 I'll take 20% off all day over $12.

Plus with free shipping you could run into the problem like zappos has sometimes.... People buy a pair of shoes receiving free next day air, try them on for size, send them back for free, and then buy them cheaper somewhere else online.

Lachy

Reaction score
Would this be free international shipping also, like Self Edge?

A discount would be more constant saving for all types of customers. The guy who lives locally and comes in pays $0 shipping, the guy a couple of states away and pays ~$12, and the international buyer who pays ~$30-40. So if it were free shipping for all, depending on where you are, you get a different bennifit. Where as 20% off purchases is constant for all.

That said, being on the international side of things, I wouldn't say no to free shipping!

edit:
Oh, but if it isn't inclusive of interational shipping, then I'd be pretty disapointed because I'd see no benefit.

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
I've always loved the fact that you guys only charged $10 for shipping to the UK!

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delirium
discount

Although, I hear what LAGuy is saying about free shipping for orders over a certain amount.

+1 for Discount plus free shipping after a minimum purchase amount.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lachy
That said, being on the international side of things, I wouldn't say no to free shipping!

edit:
Oh, but if it isn't inclusive of interational shipping, then I'd be pretty disapointed because I'd see no benefit.

You need to set up a forwarding service in the US that will send stuff to you in Oz quickly and cheaply. I have a NY address that gets me stuff in under a week, versus the 30 days that it usually takes.

mmm

Reaction score
USPS shipping to canada would be great +discount. Customs doesn't always charge if shipped by usps and with a discount even if they do charge it will be less on a discounted item. USPS is also cheaper than ups and fedex and they can leave stuff in the mailbox or post office which is way more convenient.

Ott

Reaction score
I'd just like to echo what's been said: **** UPS. Seriously.

They completely gouge Canadians on imports, to the point where I cannot justify buying something if the store will not ship it another way. I pay $50-70 each time UPS shows up at my door (on high priced items). This has never happened with USPS.

So, on behalf of all Canadians, go with USPS- please!

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Exactly. 9.30. Nothing. It says Canadian flat rate is 23.95 too.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love shipping options and a discount.
At $40 for a pair of jeans, shipping is killer.

edit:
If you open a shop in Seattle I would say discount since I can just drive down

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nude centerfolds of Farinelli's girls with every order!

bapelolol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmm
Customs doesn't always charge if shipped by usps and with a discount even if they do charge it will be less on a discounted item.
how much have you been charged just gst + pst or duty as well? anyways i agree with usps to canada, but discount > shipping

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmm
USPS shipping to canada would be great +discount. Customs doesn't always charge if shipped by usps and with a discount even if they do charge it will be less on a discounted item. USPS is also cheaper than ups and fedex and they can leave stuff in the mailbox or post office which is way more convenient.

Originally Posted by Ott
I'd just like to echo what's been said: **** UPS. Seriously.

They completely gouge Canadians on imports, to the point where I cannot justify buying something if the store will not ship it another way. I pay $50-70 each time UPS shows up at my door (on high priced items). This has never happened with USPS.

So, on behalf of all Canadians, go with USPS- please!

Originally Posted by bapelolol
how much have you been charged just gst + pst or duty as well?

anyways i agree with usps to canada, but discount > shipping

+4

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Discount that's honored in store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads