Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Freddy Vandecasteele

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dapperdude, Apr 29, 2007.

1. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Senior member

Reviving an old thread since I have a question. Has anyone recently been accepted by Freddy as first time customer? I just called and he still isn't taking any new customers because he's busy. Thanks guys!

2. red carpet

red carpet New Member

I just had my first shirt made at Freddy V. The experience was the same as that of the OP's. Call him up.

3. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

So Freddy is taking new customers now?

4. odub

odub Active Member

I just called and he basically said that he doesn't think he's going to take on any new customers. As in *ever*.

Sad trumpet.

5. badsha

badsha Senior member

I believe Freddy V. is taking on new clients now. He posted in another thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/354919/advise/0_30. I will try and post some recent examples of his work. I have tried MyTailor, Geneva, Michael Sahi and Freddy V. is by far the best IMHO. He is a one man operation.

6. Mute

Mute Senior member

Freddy's fitting skill is definitely one of the benefits of getting a shirt from him. All of my dress shirts with the most comfortable and best fitting collars are from Freddy.

7. badsha

badsha Senior member

Fit pix of shirts.

Grandi & Rubinelli Sole Oro 170/2 Blue Cotton/Linen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Testa Chocolate Gingham 120/2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage Testa Green Multi-Check 120/2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

G&R Skipper Pink w/Blue Stripe 170/2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

8. hymo

hymo Senior member

9. badsha

badsha Senior member

Heads up Freddy V. changed locations. He is 2 blocks west of the previous location between Sunnyslope Ave. & Greenbush Ave. Main street Ventura Blvd. Parking can be tricky, best to use metered parking on the street. He is upstairs as you enter the building to the right.

Number
    (818) 385-1072

10. badsha

badsha Senior member

I just learned Freddy V. has retired. What a shame, but he deserves it. I am just kicking myself for not getting more shirts in before his retirement. If anyone knows of a shirtmaker on his level, please let me know. In the meantime, I am following up on a lead.

11. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I suspected the same, he posted something on B&S recently, I think he was trying to sell his book of business. I'm curious who you find.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

12. badsha

badsha Senior member

He recommended someone. But his price for CMT is much higher. Wonder if it's worth purchasing my pattern. Had I known I would have purchased it from Freddy V.

I will do one shirt with the guy Freddy V. recommended. I will let you all know the results. Also, if any of Freddy V.'s previous customers need their pattern, please PM me.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

13. Mute

Mute Senior member

Let us know who this recommended shirt maker is. The only shirtmaker here in L.A. that I feel can deliver to Freddy's level of workmanship or better is Anto, and their shirts cost a good deal more than Freddy's. We had it good price wise.

14. badsha

badsha Senior member

Update. I met with Andrew Toth, who has essentially taken over for Freddy V. (retired). Andrew trained with Freddy V. for one year and has the shirt patterns for Freddy's previous clients. He is located in West LA near Westwood Blvd. & W. Olympic Blvd.

Andrew has access to Albini, Grandi & Rubinelli, Thomas Mason and TESTA fabrics. He is open to CMT, but you will need to speak with him regarding pricing and shirt minimums. For an upcharge Andrew can also do handmade button holes.

I also examined the stock buttons Andrew utilizes and I must say they are pretty good quality. The MOP buttons are similar to the AK MOP buttons. Buttons are hand shanked.

I commissioned one shirt to get a feel for his work and to gauge if he will be a suitable replacement for Freddy V. I will grab some photos from my next meeting.

15. Mute

Mute Senior member

Thanks for the update. Hope your shirt turns out well. I need to order some more shirts and have been looking for a shirtmaker since Freddy retired. Sounds like he has a decent selection of fabric.