• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fred perry vs merc harrington jacket

blacklabel

Reaction score
Any thoughts on how these two compare in terms of quality/fit? Is the fred perry one worth the extra money?

Also, do people usually get waxed or un-waxed?

eightdouble

Reaction score
neither.

baracuta G9 is the original and the best.

i like a lot of fred perry, but most of their harringtons are chinese made now, you can still get an england made waxed harrington (gilt had them earlier this month for 138 bucks).

still, baracuta is the answer.

slimfit G9, made in engerland.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a terrible suggestion. Baracuta are more "authentic" but their cut would not go over well with the SF board. Even their "slim" G9 is poofy and turns skinny lads into lollipops. I hear their vintage cut is better but I haven't tried it on. There was a good discussion of harringtons on this very board, if you use the search function. I ended up buying a ben sherman harrington earlier this year, and the fit was spot on.

eightdouble

Reaction score
if you buy the right size they are not poofy.

here's a pic of sf user get smart in one that i found:

111picxk3.jpg

the ben sherman isn't a bad harrington, but it's a straight rip off of the real deal.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, just go search for the old harrington jacket thread. There are fit pics and experiences there.

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meso
What a terrible suggestion. Baracuta are more "authentic" but their cut would not go over well with the SF board. Even their "slim" G9 is poofy and turns skinny lads into lollipops. I hear their vintage cut is better but I haven't tried it on. There was a good discussion of harringtons on this very board, if you use the search function. I ended up buying a ben sherman harrington earlier this year, and the fit was spot on.

WTF is 'poofy' and 'lollipop' suppose to mean? ...
plain.gif

Sorry Black Label doesn't help with your question. I'm inclined to agree with eightdouble (even if he does support WHUFC!)
wink.gif

Racing Green

Reaction score
There is no comparison between **** like Merc and a genuine made in England Baracuta. Even a Fred Perry comes nowhere near. You have to see them in the flesh to see the difference.

As for fit that's a personal preference but Baractua do original, slim and vintage. Something to suit everyone.

eightdouble

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southlondongent
I'm inclined to agree with eightdouble (even if he does support WHUFC!)
wink.gif

ha. give us a break, if we lose tomorrow i'm taking it as my acceptance that the championship awaits.

killing me.

(at least we beat spurs)

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eightdouble
ha. give us a break, if we lose tomorrow i'm taking it as my acceptance that the championship awaits.

killing me.

(at least we beat spurs)

...shame we (QPR) won't there to take the Hammers on!!
wink.gif

eightdouble

Reaction score
haha. a tale of two teams going in different directions. i still think we can sort it out, but i also think avram grant has got to go.

(not to hijack this thread or anything, sorry OP)

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racing Green
There is no comparison between **** like Merc and a genuine made in England Baracuta. Even a Fred Perry comes nowhere near. You have to see them in the flesh to see the difference.
Seen them in the flesh. Can you be more specific bout the superiority?

dave

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the Merc stuff as I've never actually seen one, but FP I do know a bit about. If you're not going for one of the FP originals like the tweed one they have now or some of the waxed and plaid high collar versions they have done in the past, go for Baracuta no doubt. nowadays there isnt even a price differential so get the original and get the best.

That said, I'd still favor a monkey jacket over any of the harrington options as I've never been a real fan of them.
laugh.gif

eightdouble

Reaction score
i will confess that the tweed fred perry harrington is tidy, but it's also ******* expensive.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eightdouble
i will confess that the tweed fred perry harrington is tidy, but it's also ******* expensive.

no **** huh? i'm guessing it'll be around at the half off clearance time in Jan-Feb then im all over it.

i10casual

Reaction score
I tried some Merc on in london. They are well built and a little full (puffed)on the look. The cut is probably like the regular baracuta. I would go with the vintage fit baracuta on sale.

(pikey's are a fantastic feeder club for us. CFC-double champions-)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads