• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Frayed suit trouser pockets - can they be repaired?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No- you cannot "cut in" an extra piece of fabric as you suggest. You can have them rewoven by a seamstress/tailor who knows what they are doing.

I've no direct experience with it but wonder how well it work on a seam edge like that.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again- I don't know offhand. A drycleaner near me who does reweaving and I've seen one example that looked great. Something in the back of my memory says it wasn't that expensive. Like maybe it started around $25 and went up from there.

If it's a great enough suit, might it be worth $100 to repair?

I found this on one site, so the fact that you have material to work with might help?

HOW IT’S DONE
We reconstruct the hole by using the threads, taken from the same garment. There are two methods of reweaving: French weaving, weaving thread by thread to match the pattern and piece weaving, weaving in a piece of fabric from the same garment. Knitwear Doctor always uses the method which will get the best result and make the customer happy. Many tailors and cleaners use our services because we do it right, no mending just weaving. The cost starts at $30 and goes up depending on the size of the hole, if you have more than one hole in the garment, we will quote you a price per job, not hole. It’s cheaper by the bunch.
Of course- one little hole versus an entire fray? dunno

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Hmm. Thanks. I'll look into it. I should mention though that the fraying is lateral to the vertical sticthes that close the pocket together.

I don't what this last sentence means but it would help to know what style of pocket it is. Is it the front or back pocket? Is it a quarter top, on seam or besom? Quarter top or on seam will be easier to fix. Besom not so much, but not impossible.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bet it is the left front pocket.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
I recently picked up a suit while thrifitng which is in great condition except for the fact that the edges of the pockets of the suit trousers are frayed (I did not notice this before I boiught the suit). The trousers are too long for me and will need tailoring so my question is this: can I use the excess fabric from shortening the trousers to repair/replace the frayed bits of the trouser pockets?
Interesting. I had the exact same idea. If you have any luck with the reweaving, please let us know.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 142 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40