• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frayed sleeves on blazer, what can be done?

trigirdbers

Reaction score
I have a solid navy blazer with sleeves that are pretty much at the minimum acceptable length so getting them taken up is not an option. This being the case, is there any way of repairing the frayed sleeves?

EzraPaul

Reaction score
I'd say it's time to replace it. I've never frayed a sleeve, even with considerable wear, so I'm betting you either got your money's worth or it wasn't expensive to start out with.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trigirdbers
I have a solid navy blazer with sleeves that are pretty much at the minimum acceptable length so getting them taken up is not an option. This being the case, is there any way of repairing the frayed sleeves?

I've seen a new coat where the sleeve ends were done in leather as a stylistic nod, if I recall correctly a SF member said this was a way that they used to repair them for longer wear.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trigirdbers

I believe the SR method is to add suede trim to the sleeve ends and quarter's of a jacket that's on its last last legs.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
add white "piping" to the sleeve ends, part of the quarters, and top of the pockets and you're pimpin'

trigirdbers

Reaction score
Not really interested in being avant-garde. I guess wearing a threadbare blazer is a nice trad nod, but its more for a buisness casual workplace. And I don't have the money to be replacing blazers.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burn it and buy a new one. Clothes do not last for ever so don't be a skinflint. This one must be years old to have degenerated to that condition.

If you have no money as you suggest then do without a blazer.

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
add white "piping" to the sleeve ends, part of the quarters, and top of the pockets and you're pimpin'

Yeah, this is a cool idea. Maybe instead of 'piping' them, use a contrast fabric and cover the sleeve ends like a navy admiral, and use whats left as a pocket square.

shog[1].gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I meant like what you would call a 'piping', basically just a strip of fabric.

instead of white, it could maybe be a similar color, so tone on tone satin or something. eg picture a Tux. so navy satin thin strip to the sleeve ends, part of the quarters, and maybe part of the lapel? could be an interesting project.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
Get a new blazer ya cheap basterd.

Thanks for making me chuckle this morning.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
An alterations tailor could definitely put some threads in it to keep it from fraying more, but I say if you like the blazer just rock it with the frays.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there may be more wear than you can see, check it out.
the elbows, the collar crease, the lining, and all over.
it may not be worth investing in.

Coburn

Reaction score
You could ask a tailor to shorten the sleeves by a quarter inch.
That might display to much linen but most men I see wear there jacket sleeves too long anyway.

trigirdbers

Reaction score
All right, *******, I bought a new blazer. You all happy now? Gently used Zegna sport coat in perfect condition. Only minor alterations needed. Under 100 bucks. I guess that ended up being a better decision than repairing the old one after all, huh?
Originally Posted by EzraPaul
I'd say it's time to replace it. I've never frayed a sleeve, even with considerable wear, so I'm betting you either got your money's worth or it wasn't expensive to start out with.
I think its the way that I write, heavy pressure, press down on the edge of the cuff with the back of my hand as I slide across the page.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads