1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fray dress shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by davei, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Stone

Stone Senior member

Real mother of pearl buttons feel cool/cold to the touch all the time - that's how you can tell.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

There is another way of telling which my grandmother told me: Hold button against your teeth. Mother-of-Pearl feels harder, plastic or resin feels softer than your teeth. You feel it instantly. (Yes, I had a grandmother who taught me all the finer points of gracious living.)

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Your grandmother is absolutely right, just be careful not to be caught in the act by wary salespeople. Pearl also has a gritty texture you can discern by touching.

4. High_Roller

High_Roller Senior member

Alright. So now, do fake shirts have mother of pearl buttons?
    I found a white Versace dress shirt with imprints of the greek key, leaves and madusa prints on it. It is an extremely beautiful shirt and I don't know why anyone would have brought it in to a second hand store. I was skeptical to if it was real or not. I did the biting test and felt the buttons and they are mother of pearl. Would designer imposter shirts have these buttons? Or is this a real Versace?

5. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

Chances are it's a real Versace. Bootleggers are unlikely to go to the expense or trouble of matching buttons exactly to the original.

People bring surprising items into thrift shops for a variety of reasons, including change of taste, change of size, the ex left it behind, the owner passed away, a store or designer donated overstock, and so on. I've found all sorts of things in thrift shops that you wouldn't believe.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Really, What have you found in various thrift shops?

7. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

Lord, I can hardly remember, there's been so much. You name it. Prada, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, Armani, Versace, Cavalli, Malo, Yohji Yamamoto, Issey Miyake, Comme des Garçons, Valentino, Missoni, Thierry Mugler, Claude Montana, John Bartlett, John Richmond, Paul Smith, Helmut Lang, Dirk Bikkembergs, Dries van Noten, Luciano Barbera, and, as the King of Siam would say, "etcetera, etcetera, etcetera." No Kiton yet, but I'll keep looking.

8. Timothy

Timothy Senior member

Pstoller is it possible that you found any of the listed labels on the East Coast? If so can you direct me to some good second hand stores? I am in the Harrisburg PA area, but willing to travel as far as Philly, and/or DC area to check places out. Thanks.

9. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

Well, not in thrift shops. I did find such labels in consignment shops, which are considerably pricier than thrift, though far less than retail. However, all my east coast shopping was in NYC and the surrounding areas. The closest shop to you I visited was the Last Call outlet in Philly. Virtually all my thrift shop finds have been in L.A.

10. High_Roller

High_Roller Senior member

Well, the reason I was so surprised to find something like that in a local thrift shop is beacause I live in a tiny town. We don't havce any designer boutiques here, and no one really wears designer labels, so when I went into the store, I didn't expect to find anything. I left with that Versace shirt, a Versace Jeans Couture shirt and a Gianni Versace Couture blazer, all of which are beautiful, so I do go back now and then, I've found Hugo Boss, Yves Saint Laurent, and a weird Paul Smith shirt that had like a spray paint graffiti tecnique on it.. I didn't buy any of those. I went back again and saw a suit jacket by Krizia, but I don't know much about the brand.. and a whole suit by Gianfranco Ferre Studio, but they hiked up the price a bit, and since im in the position where i don't have to wear suits, I didn't buy it.

11. thc

thc Senior member

I never hear anyone mention Battistoni. I love their shirts, which can be found at Barneys. I like the rounded edges on the collars.