• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fratelli Tallia di Delfino/Zegna Suit Fabrics/Fabric Retailers

roguetheory

Reaction score
Could some of you bespoke suit experts please enlighten me with some wisdom
smile.gif

I recently paid a visit to a tailor here in Asia about getting a fully canvased 3 piece suit made. Whilst viewing the samples I was shown an Italian brand called Fratelli Tallia di Delfino (Super 130/140's) and I was quoted at around $950 USD. Is this a decent brand? high quality?

I was then shown Zegna samples (Super 120) and then the price drastically doubled and it was only for a 2 piece and not a 3 piece. Is the Zegna really that good that it's worth double that of the Fratelli or is it more of a case of paying for the name? Also could somebody please point me in the direction of an on-line retailer which sells good quality suiting fabrics?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zegna in my opinion makes very nice fabrics. I have never heard of the other brand.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Zegna in my opinion makes very nice fabrics. I have never heard of the other brand.
In case Rogue doesn´t know, Loro Piana makes for me the best fabrics around but pricey. I you liked zegnas, you´ll like those.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you "in Asia"? It's a big f*kin place. Unless you're in HK, you're getting jacked up.

stylomilo

Reaction score
It's difficult to advice you unless you provide some indication of what type of cloth you are looking for . The Zegna "Trofeo" is an excellent all round cloth but there are other alternative available ( Scabal, Dormeuil etc )
One way of reducing your tailoring costs ( assuming your tailor does CMT ) is to purchase the fabric yourself & pay the tailor for the labor charges. Tailors often impose a high mark up on the cloths they provide.

roguetheory

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Where are you "in Asia"? It's a big f*kin place. Unless you're in HK, you're getting jacked up.

Could you please elaborate? I'm not in Hong Kong, but Kuala Lumpur. The tailor is Lords tailors if that helps.

Originally Posted by stylomilo
It's difficult to advice you unless you provide some indication of what type of cloth you are looking for..

At the moment I'm leaning towards plaid, window pane. Something like this in a Super 130-150 (depending on price of course):

fc78c33bebo1_500.jpg.jpg

One way of reducing your tailoring costs ( assuming your tailor does CMT ) is to purchase the fabric yourself & pay the tailor for the labor charges. Tailors often impose a high mark up on the cloths they provide.

I agree, that's why I was asking for on-line retailers. There are quite a few places in town which sell suiting material, although I would rather find a good deal on-line.

stylomilo

Reaction score
EBay may be your best bet. There are a few e-tailers but it's difficult to accurately reflect the color of the fabric on the internet. The finer yarns can be delicate . I hope you have a good dry cleaner where you are.
Have you made anything at Lords?

roguetheory

Reaction score
EBay may be your best bet. There are a few e-tailers but it's difficult to accurately reflect the color of the fabric on the internet. The finer yarns can be delicate . I hope you have a good dry cleaner where you are.
Have you made anything at Lords?

Dry cleaning is not an issue, plenty of quality firms in town. Haven't made anything at Lords, basically I've just been shopping around and getting quotes. Lords is going to be more expensive since it's in a semi-up-scale mall. The biggest issue I foresee is finding the balance between top quality affordable fabric and a tailor I feel confident in.

Unless I just find the fabric on-line and pay for the labor. Is $1000 USD expensive for a fully canvased bespoke 3-piece suit (Super 140 fabric)?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can buy cloth online at the HFW and the Dugdale Brothers website.

stylomilo

Reaction score
I checked with my Malaysian colleague who says that this is on the high end of the scale for Malaysia.
There are alternatives. There are also vendors on Ebay that sell fabrics at a substantially reduced costs.
I would go for a basic fabric if this is the first time you are using the tailor & negotiate as many fittings as possible to get it right. Makes more sense to have better fabrics once you are confident of the tailor's ability. Have you seen samples of their work?
Please pm me if you are interested

hymo

Reaction score
I'm a Malaysian based in KL and USD1000 for CMT for a 3-piece is really cleaning you out with perchloroethylene. It should cost about USD400.

roguetheory

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hymo
I'm a Malaysian based in KL and USD1000 for CMT for a 3-piece is really cleaning you out with perchloroethylene. It should cost about USD400.
Yeah, it was about 2500rm for a 2 piece, add 400rm for a canvased + 600rm for the vest. So where would you recommend in KL for a high quality tailor at decent prices? 1300rm for a canvased 3-piece suit sounds way too cheap.

hymo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by roguetheory
Yeah, it was about 2500rm for a 2 piece, add 400rm for a canvased + 600rm for the vest. So where would you recommend in KL for a high quality tailor at decent prices? 1300rm for a canvased 3-piece suit sounds way too cheap.
The price I mentioned is for CMT (look up what it means).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads