• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frank Shattuck Tailor Co. (found his web site!)

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gsugsu
I will not eat green eggs and ham...

Message edited. My reply message from last night (Thursday, September 18th, 2008 at 9:24PM Eastern Time) is now half the size of what it was before.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
He would say that it's because he works alone, and makes everything -- every stitch, except the trousers -- himself. It takes him much longer than most tailors to make a suit. And there is more handwork than 99% of other tailors' suits.

And there is something to this. No one else in NY (or London) works this way. But I suspect there is more to the story as well.

That is correct, Manton. But I am sure that Frank Shattuck has an in house trouser maker that makes the trousers, since Frank Shattuck does not make the trousers himself. Even though Frank Shattuck is very low volume overall, his volume is obviously too high that he cannot make everything himself. Apparently, he chooses not to make trousers himself. That is why I am sure he has an in house trouser maker working for him to do that. But Frank Shattuck’s overall volume is low enough by a large enough amount that Frank Shattuck can make everything else all by himself.

Some low volume tailors have volume that is so low that they can make everything all by themselves. Also, some low volume tailors do have some of their clothing such as the following made out of house: trousers (by trouser makers who specialize in exclusively making trousers) and vests (by vest makers who specialize in exclusively making vests). With some low volume tailors, having such clothing made off premises is by the choice of the tailor (where it is mandatory). With some low volume tailors, having such clothing made off premises is by the choice of the customer (where it is optional but less expensive than having it made in house). Frank Shattuck, who, again, is very low volume overall, is too high volume to do this. Apparently, Jon Green (who has massively high prices) is, by far, low volume enough that he can have all of the clothing that he sells (including jackets, tailcoats, topcoats and overcoats) made off premises by anybody he wants.

All high volume tailors, however, have all of their clothing made exclusively in house. They have to because it is the only way for their quality and service to be exceptional. If any high volume tailors had any of their clothing made out of house it would hurt their quality and service big time. Consequently, all high volume tailors have a multitude of the following in house tailors working for them: jacket and coat makers, trouser makers and vest makers. FWIW, William Fioravanti, who is a New York tailor, is by far the highest volume tailor (and the only high volume tailor, or, the only high volume premium tailor) in North America. Overall, William Fioravanti’s volume is huge.

There is a reason as to why the best high volume tailors have to charge the massively high prices that they charge. They have the huge volume that Frank Shattuck does not even come close to having. They also have exceptional quality and service that, fortunately, Frank Shattuck also has. And, with a few of them (such as William Fioravanti and the three Savile Row tailors, all of whom I mentioned in my last reply message to this topic that I posted at 9:24PM Eastern Time on Thursday, September 18th, 2008), their clothing really does match Frank Shattuck's clothing (who’s clothing is more hand sewn than 99% of all other tailors' clothing) for hand sewing. If any of the best high volume tailors lowered their prices despite their huge volume, their quality and service would suffer tremendously (just like it did with Mercedes Benz). We all know far too well, unfortunately, that nobody wants to make the same mistakes with anything that they make and sell (be it clothes, vehicles, electronics, etcetera) that Mercedes Benz made with the vehicles that they make and sell. BTW, it takes William Fioravanti just as long as it takes Frank Shattuck to make clothing (which I believe is 8 to 16 weeks).

With all of the above, I only speak of tailored clothing. Tailored clothing, of course, is suits, sportsjackets, odd trousers, odd vests, tuxedos, tailcoats, topcoats and overcoats.

kngrimm

Reaction score
you did it again, ox... are you aware of what you write?

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kngrimm
you did it again, ox... are you aware of what you write?

Yes, I am aware of what I write.

I am simply going by what I have read here in clothing articles and on the tailor's websites.

I am also going by what I have read here on SF from other members of SF. And, I am going by what I have read here on AAAC from other members of AAAC.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
He would say that it's because he works alone, and makes everything -- every stitch, except the trousers -- himself. It takes him much longer than most tailors to make a suit. And there is more handwork than 99% of other tailors' suits.

And there is something to this. No one else in NY (or London) works this way. But I suspect there is more to the story as well.

who makes his trousers? are they comparable to ambrosi ?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
who makes his trousers? are they comparable to ambrosi ?

No, totally unlike Ambrosi's.

Frank is not really an option any more, in any event.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
Yes, I am aware of what I write.

I am simply going by what I have read here in clothing articles and on the tailor's websites.

I am also going by what I have read here on SF from other members of SF. And, I am going by what I have read here on AAAC from other members of AAAC.

I think what people are trying to say is that your posts make you look like some kind of articial intelligence that's in one of the last few stages of testing...it seems so human, yet there's just something that's a bit off.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsgNYC
I think what people are trying to say is that your posts make you look like some kind of articial intelligence that's in one of the last few stages of testing...it seems so human, yet there's just something that's a bit off.
99.9875% human and 0.0125% off?

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
99.9875% human and 0.0125% off?

I am only 65-70% sure about these numbers.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
That is correct, Manton. But I am sure that Frank Shattuck has an in house trouser maker that makes the trousers, since Frank Shattuck does not make the trousers himself. Even though Frank Shattuck is very low volume overall, his volume is obviously too high that he cannot make everything himself. Apparently, he chooses not to make trousers himself. That is why I am sure he has an in house trouser maker working for him to do that. But Frank Shattuck's overall volume is low enough by a large enough amount that Frank Shattuck can make everything else all by himself.

Some low volume tailors have volume that is so low that they can make everything all by themselves. Also, some low volume tailors do have some of their clothing such as the following made out of house: trousers (by trouser makers who specialize in exclusively making trousers) and vests (by vest makers who specialize in exclusively making vests). With some low volume tailors, having such clothing made off premises is by the choice of the tailor (where it is mandatory). With some low volume tailors, having such clothing made off premises is by the choice of the customer (where it is optional but less expensive than having it made in house). Frank Shattuck, who, again, is very low volume overall, is too high volume to do this. Apparently, Jon Green (who has massively high prices) is, by far, low volume enough that he can have all of the clothing that he sells (including jackets, tailcoats, topcoats and overcoats) made off premises by anybody he wants.

All high volume tailors, however, have all of their clothing made exclusively in house. They have to because it is the only way for their quality and service to be exceptional. If any high volume tailors had any of their clothing made out of house it would hurt their quality and service big time. Consequently, all high volume tailors have a multitude of the following in house tailors working for them: jacket and coat makers, trouser makers and vest makers. FWIW, William Fioravanti, who is a New York tailor, is by far the highest volume tailor (and the only high volume tailor, or, the only high volume premium tailor) in North America. Overall, William Fioravanti's volume is huge.

There is a reason as to why the best high volume tailors have to charge the massively high prices that they charge. They have the huge volume that Frank Shattuck does not even come close to having. They also have exceptional quality and service that, fortunately, Frank Shattuck also has. And, with a few of them (such as William Fioravanti and the three Savile Row tailors, all of whom I mentioned in my last reply message to this topic that I posted at 9:24PM Eastern Time on Thursday, September 18th, 2008), their clothing really does match Frank Shattuck's clothing (who's clothing is more hand sewn than 99% of all other tailors' clothing) for hand sewing. If any of the best high volume tailors lowered their prices despite their huge volume, their quality and service would suffer tremendously (just like it did with Mercedes Benz). We all know far too well, unfortunately, that nobody wants to make the same mistakes with anything that they make and sell (be it clothes, vehicles, electronics, etcetera) that Mercedes Benz made with the vehicles that they make and sell. BTW, it takes William Fioravanti just as long as it takes Frank Shattuck to make clothing (which I believe is 8 to 16 weeks).

With all of the above, I only speak of tailored clothing. Tailored clothing, of course, is suits, sportsjackets, odd trousers, odd vests, tuxedos, tailcoats, topcoats and overcoats.

There is a reason oxxford writes like this. The reason being, that when oxxford writes like this, it is probably due to the reason that he prefers to, that person being oxxford. The person I am referring to is oxxford and I am confident that it is self-evident the reasoning why. I don't think I need to tell you more than once. The self-evident reason being that he prefers it, he meaning oxxford.

When oxxford speaks, you listen. When he speaks 3x or more, you should also listen. That being that when he only speaks once, you should already be listening, if I were to say he spoke 3 times, you should still be listening since oxxford speaking 3 times does not preclude any condition I have explained about his speaking once. Never mind speaking twice. I don't want to get into that but I can, if you wish.

jeaves

Reaction score
I went to his site, but the main page has nothing there. I tried http://www.fshattuck.com/index, but the links are unrelated.
On a slightly related note, does anyone know where he gets those caps? They are amazing.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads